Richard Hooker and Puritan Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Presbyterian

Puritanboard Amanuensis
Quick question for the board.

Can someone here point me to some Puritan works that deal directly with Richard Hooker (not just his ecclesiology, but his theology in general)?

A Christian letter of certaine English protestants, vnfained fauourers of the present state of religion, authorised and professed in England: vnto that reverend and learned man, Mr R. Hoo requiring resolution in certaine matters of doctrine (which seeme to ouerthrow the foundation of Christian religion, and of the church among vs) expreslie contained in his fiue books of Ecclesiasticall pollicie. 1599.

There is a quote pulled from Hooker that appears on pages 66-67 of vol 6 in the Puritan Sermons set (Morning Exercises at Cripplegate).

Other than that, I didn't see anything in the indexes of several sets that I consulted (Flavel & Manton)

Hooker comes in for a drubbing in Gillespie's English Popish Ceremonies (new NP edition out by end of the year, DV) as often holding as bad or worse positions (on worship issues) than Bellarmine. The Anglo Catholic position Gillespie was combating is often cast by him as worse than the Catholic apologists at the time. I think he cited Hooker one time favorably (ie Hooker "rightly says").

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back