Richard Rogers "Seven Treatises" Now Available as No-Cost eBook (EPUB & PDF)

Status
Not open for further replies.

davejonescue

Puritan Board Junior
Hey everybody. I noticed on here some past posts concerning Richard Rogers "Seven Treatises." I saw that someone was mentioning that it was going to be reprinted, but havent been able to find it; and that was in 2009 I think. But, I had to take a little break from Greenhams, so I looked at Roger's work (having been wanting to do it for sometime via Monergism request) and noticed it was very well formatted to begin with. Still had to go through and make adjustments; but it is now available for free via the Monergism website. God Bless.

Hey everybody. I noticed on here some past posts concerning Richard Rogers "Seven Treatises." I saw that someone was mentioning that it was going to be reprinted, but havent been able to find it; and that was in 2009 I think. But, I had to take a little break from Greenhams, so I looked at Roger's work (having been wanting to do it for sometime via Monergism request) and noticed it was very well formatted to begin with. Still had to go through and make adjustments; but it is now available for free via the Monergism website. God Bless.

Man on a mission

Brother. Don’t stop what you’re doing. This has been on my mind and I guess others as well. But many of us lack the time, patience, and ability to pull of such a work as your doing. I thank you on behalf of all those that were hoping to read these works in our lifetime. You have made that more possible and accessible now. Especially now that they are printing their works.
My only hope is that they will print the large folio volumes like your doing for Greenham’s works, but the same for Ric. Rogers 7 treatises. Guide to godliness. And hopefully you or someone can work on John Rogers work on 1 Peter. Namaan the Syrian by Daniel Rogers. Burroughs on Matt. 11. Capel on temptation 6th edition. And Sam. Clarke martyrology 1677 mainly for the Puritan profiles/biography’s at the end of that edition.
If these could be brought back to print, and hopefully hardback if possible, but pb will do, that’ll be a huge blessing to the church in these last and shallow days.

This is a great work. But I believe there is a later edition in 1630 of this same work. It’s around 100 folio pages longer. I think this is the 1603 edition. The 1630 edition is online too.

Thank you so much for the encouraging words. As far as commentaries go, that is kind of past my expertise, as I am not fluent in Greek or Hebrew, and many of the commentaries will include much of this. If it were as simple as copying the OL scripts, I could do this, but unfortunately, many of the older works, the OL's were intermingled with a shorthand which has up to 700 combinations! So for now, and since there are so many less technical works that can be done, I will have to leave those "to the pro's" as they say. I did look, and will put Capels work on the to-do list, as it is pretty low in errors; but you can already get the print book from Puritan Publications here. Monergism just launched their PB site https://www.monergismbooks.com/ which is their print book wing of their ministry; while still continuing to offer their ebooks free of charge. Might want to have a look around there. Hopefully, a lot of these books that were out of print will make their way there; as I think Monergism sells them at no-profit, so the prices will be low. But we hope to get many of these works back in circulation, especially since EEBBO-TCP and Project Puuritas gave us such a head start.

capel temp.jpg

This is a great work. But I believe there is a later edition in 1630 of this same work. It’s around 100 folio pages longer. I think this is the 1603 edition. The 1630 edition is online too.
Thats one of the things too. I can only work with what I have. While I would love to have the budget to pay someone to type out 1,000 pages; I dont, so I have to work with the edition that has already been pre-transcribed. Now if you are volunteering to type....just kidding. But if I re-typed every work to its most recent edition, I would only be doing one book a year instead of almost 60. Got to weigh the pro's and cons. The pros being that the work is back in circulation, the cons of not doing it, is it will remain in facsimile with few people reading it.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the encouraging words. As far as commentaries go, that is kind of past my expertise, as I am not fluent in Greek or Hebrew, and many of the commentaries will include much of this. If it were as simple as copying the OL scripts, I could do this, but unfortunately, many of the older works, the OL's were intermingled with a shorthand which has up to 700 combinations! So for now, and since there are so many less technical works that can be done, I will have to leave those "to the pro's" as they say. I did look, and will put Capels work on the to-do list, as it is pretty low in errors; but you can already get the print book from Puritan Publications here. Monergism just launched their PB site https://www.monergismbooks.com/ which is their print book wing of their ministry; while still continuing to offer their ebooks free of charge. Might want to have a look around there. Hopefully, a lot of these books that were out of print will make their way there; as I think Monergism sells them at no-profit, so the prices will be low. But we hope to get many of these works back in circulation, especially since EEBBO-TCP and Project Puuritas gave us such a head start.

View attachment 10885

Thats one of the things too. I can only work with what I have. While I would love to have the budget to pay someone to type out 1,000 pages; I dont, so I have to work with the edition that has already been per-transcribed.
Thank you brother. The Puritan publication of Capel is less than 200 pages. After the bio it’s probably just around 150 pages total. The sixth edition is greatly enlarged to about 800+ pages.
And I understand with the commentaries. But the ones I suggested however aren’t critical or exegetical at all. I looked into these (Burroughs on Matt. 11; J. Rogers on 1 Peter; Sam. Smith psalm 51; namaan the Syrian by Daniel Rogers) and these are chiefly lectures and treatises like works. 99.9% English probably. For these at least. Thank you for your work. You including the prefaces, doing the latest edition, and entire works of these men is a great benefit. God bless you for your work and labour of love.

Thank you brother. The Puritan publication of Capel is less than 200 pages. After the bio it’s probably just around 150 pages total. The sixth edition is greatly enlarged to about 800+ pages.
And I understand with the commentaries. But the ones I suggested however aren’t critical or exegetical at all. I looked into these (Burroughs on Matt. 11; J. Rogers on 1 Peter; Sam. Smith psalm 51; namaan the Syrian by Daniel Rogers) and these are chiefly lectures and treatises like works. 99.9% English probably. For these at least. Thank you for your work. You including the prefaces, doing the latest edition, and entire works of these men is a great benefit. God bless you for your work and labour of love.
Ok. So I found some interesting things about Capels work. 1. EEBO-TCP did the 3rd part, which I may have missed thinking it was a duplicate of the work I had already linked since it has the same title. And, the last 200 pages of Capels work in Temptations is known as "Capels Remains." Which we already have. This leaves part 4 as the only part that has not been transcribed. I will get a hold of Logan, to see if he can clean up part 3 for us? Then I may take it slow and type out 3 or 4 of the part 4 pages a day, (or if I get a spur, just spend my days off doing it,) which should take me about 20 minutes a day since it is the smaller book pages of that era. This would be a great addition to at least Monergisms offering; and then I can see if they would like to do it in print. Thank you for pointing this out.

Last edited:
Just a heads up on the Capel work, Lord Willing. I was able to get a hold of Logan, who graciously updated the text of the 3rd part. We already had parts 1 & 2, plus the end "Capels Remains" appendix. That is now 4 out of the 5 parts of the 6th edition updated and ready for edit. Will try to type out 4 pages a day, maybe more on my days off. They are pretty small Puritan era pages, so each one is like a half or maybe even a quarter of a contemporary page. Say about 20-25 days to get it typed out that way, as part 4 is 200 of those pages. Then I will put them all together, should have this over to Monergism in about 2 months at latest, for at least free ePub. Then you can contact them to see if they will offer it as a PB? Cant promise I will get to any of the other works you requested, or that I can always do the latest edition; but this one was able to be done; and it looks like an awesome text to get out there. Again, thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Just a heads up on the Capel work, Lord Willing. I was able to get a hold of Logan, who graciously updated the text of the 3rd part. We already had parts 1 & 2, plus the end "Capels Remains" appendix. That is now 4 out of the 5 parts of the 6th edition updated and ready for edit. Will try to type out 4 pages a day, maybe more on my days off. They are pretty small Puritan era pages, so each one is like a half or maybe even a quarter of a contemporary page. Say about 20-25 days to get it typed out that way, as part 4 is 200 of those pages. Then I will put them all together, should have this over to Monergism in about 2 months at latest, for at least free ePub. Then you can contact them to see if they will offer it as a PB? Cant promise I will get to any of the other works you requested, or that I can always do the latest edition; but this one was able to be done; and it looks like an awesome text to get out there. Again, thank you for bringing it to my attention.
Thanks again for your work brother. This and Greenham are tremendous works to bring again to light.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back