Richard Strauss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anton Bruckner

Puritan Board Professor
A celebrated classical composer who wrote the following works.

1. Also Sprach Zarathustra which celebrated Nitchzie's philosohpy.

2. Alpine Symphony, which celebrated the efforts of man.

Knowing that both of these two works were inspired by ultra humanistic philosophies, what should be a Christian response?

Heck, they are both beautiful pieces. So, can evil inspire beauty in Art? Or is it that we dedicate that which is beautiful to that which is evil?

I think a similar point could be made about Mozart. These guys were blessed with a sense of beauty and the sublime and had the skill and talent to express it. They held on to a sense of God's order even if they denied it.

In one of my earlier (and unbelieving) iterations, I was a music composition major. This was in the 70s. I fought with the modern composition students of my time because they were writing music that was deliberately trying to rebel against form or beauty. I was an advocate for beauty.

In that period, the avant garde essentially proclaimed that "beauty is dead" and called people like me "unoriginal neo-baroque". It was supposed to be an insult. But what they were writing was not worth putting on paper, let alone hearing.

When I hear Strauss, I exhalt in the orchestration and soaring melodies, think sadly about what must be the state of his soul, and reflect on how it is possible for the reprobate to exhalt God while in their rebellion.

Vic

I like to think along the lines of the presuppositional apologetic model. For the unbeliever, the world view they live out is often in tension with the one they proclaim. And whenever they make sense of anything they are borrowing from a Christian worldview rather than acting on their own.

In the same way, despite Wagner's work to overcome the Almighty, his music can still point away from himself and towards God. Because it is only with God that things like melody, harmony, rhythm, beauty, etc. can make sense.

you guys correct and have the right perspective. But what about the impression that unbelievers have when they see us listening to a Wagner Overture or a Strauss's tone poem?

Well, you could say, like my wife did once during an intermission, "It's too bad Wagner is in hell."

The socialite ladies drinking wine overheard and had mixed expressions. Some were horrified, a couple of them nodded sadly.

If an unbeliever asks, do tell. If they don't ask, they probably are not even thinking about the philosophy of the composer as compared to your faith.

In other words, I wouldn't worry about impressions but be quick to answer if asked.

Vic

Originally posted by victorbravo
Well, you could say, like my wife did once during an intermission, "It's too bad Wagner is in hell."

Vic
I was thinking along the same lines. "So talented, so industrious, too bad an unbeliever".

Its really tragic.

Don't we have to remember, first of all, that though a person can be an unbeliever in their public life (statements, writings, lifestyle, etc.) it doesn't necessarily mean they stayed that way. We can't know what goes on in the death throes of a person. Nietzsche -- who knows, he was in some kind of catatonic state after a breakdown of some sort. I don't know how R. Strauss died, I'm not even making an argument that they probably did see the light, but I'm just saying we can't, ultimately, know.

Having said that, common grace itself makes it possible for even atheists to compose inspired music. They may try - and be successful - in marring it in some way, or they may be better at going with it and creating purer inspired works like Mozart in his late symphonies or Beethoven (religious but not in a organised religion sort of way) generally. Common grace is there, but works created by man will be more or less pure in their use of that grace...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back