Ride With The Devil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Southern Presbyterian

Puritan Board Doctor
I LOVE this movie. It has drama, battle scenes, humor, and even a love story.

There is some language, though none of the "big" words are used, and a couple of love scenes to be aware of, yet nothing graphic is shown and you will plainly know when they are coming up so you can react appropriately by fast forwarding or looking away if you deem it necessary. There is also war related violence (think Braveheart).

This movie shows a side of the War Against Northern Aggression that is seldom seen today. Pay particular attention to the scene where Mr. Evans is telling Jack Bull and Jake about his business trips to Lawrence, Kansas. This gives great insight to the true reasons behind the war, in my opinion. Also the scenes where they are reading the captured Union mail are particularly powerful as well.

Also a wise discussion of what happens when you let "them" get into your schools.

This movie has one of the most chillingly impressive bad guys of any movie I have seen.

I'll throw this comment in only because "The War" was referred to not as the Civil War or even the War Between the States, but as "The War of Northern Aggression"....

I particularly thought the Confederate massacre of innocent civilians in Lawrence, Kansas was well portrayed. They descended on the town, shot up a lot of civilians and then fled like rabbits when Union forces pursued....

The movie did well to make both side look like sinners.

P.S. My g-g-great grandfolks came southern Missouri - guerilla center. My wife's town still has cannonball holes in the old courthouse. Stories about the nastiness of Quantrill abound.

I do admit that I LOVE the movie, even thoughI don't know how to do the review feature (I would give 4 stars all the way across). I love this movie partly due to the Spiderman actor, he's good, and largely due to the scenary of Missouri - how I miss those woods.

P.S.S. My g-g-great grandfather (plus or minus one g) came from Pennsylvania Cavalry and brought his two slaves from PA (ironic, huh?) and fought for the Union in Southern Missouri against the raiders. After the War him and his newly-freed slaves share-cropped in fields next to each other and settled in Shannon County, Missouri (or rather helped settle that county, rather than merely settle in it).

I have sympathies both ways and am often torn on the issue of the Civil War/War Between the States. Sometimes I like to challenge Northern revisionism just like I do Southern revisionism on the topic. Plenty of both abound (here on the PB too).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back