Ridiculously specific doctrinal question about my church

Status
Not open for further replies.
John 3:16 (John 3:11-21)

Ask him where in the passage the evangelist intends to end Jesus' words and begin his own?

I didn't know this was a problem until C. A. Carson spoke of it (p99 Exegetical Fallacies) Apparently there is no clear answer!

-----Added 9/26/2009 at 03:28:50 EST-----

Ask Him what "Do not answer a fool according to his folly" mean? (26:4)

Pause for the explanation, then ask the supplementary question, what does "Answer a fool according to his folly" mean? (26:5) :confused:

It should lead into a discussion of the nature of Proverbs and that they cannot be taken at face value. :encourage:

Ask him the spiritual significance of each of the ineffective things that Samson told Delilah that he could be bound with: undried bow strings, new ropes, and the "lobes" of his hair.
That will be hard to answer! :up:

-----Added 9/26/2009 at 10:28:42 EST-----

Ask him where in the passage the evangelist intends to end Jesus' words and begin his own?

I didn't know this was a problem until C. A. Carson spoke of it (p99 Exegetical Fallacies) Apparently there is no clear answer!

-----Added 9/26/2009 at 03:28:50 EST-----

Ask Him what "Do not answer a fool according to his folly" mean? (26:4)

Pause for the explanation, then ask the supplementary question, what does "Answer a fool according to his folly" mean? (26:5) :confused:

It should lead into a discussion of the nature of Proverbs and that they cannot be taken at face value. :encourage:
Ahh yes, I first heard of the first problem when I found out that John 3:16 might not have been spoken by Jesus...you can imagine my poor little Arminian heartbreak!

Ask him the spiritual significance of each of the ineffective things that Samson told Delilah that he could be bound with: undried bow strings, new ropes, and the "lobes" of his hair.

Well, now I really want to ask my pastor that to see the look on his face .... Except if he's reading this, he'll have an answer ready ... :gpl:

I appreciate all the responses. I will have to pick one or two, but perhaps I will show this thread to my pastor afterwards. :D I think I'm definitely going to have to go with westminken's since he knows Aaron and has given me inside info. that will make Aaron think I was spying on him back in seminary. :lol:

How about asking him to be executor of your estate in case you are raptured? Yes, I know, another loaded question......:lol:

Ask Him About Any Exceptions he has.

I would ask him plainly if he has any exceptions to the WCF, larger and shorter catechisms.

And if any of the other elders in your church have any exceptions.

I wished I had asked those questions.

These are important questions that any body joining a PCA church should ask. After all, you will be sitting under his teaching, and you should have a idea of what he believes, and what is and is not taught in church....

I would ask him plainly if he has any exceptions to the WCF, larger and shorter catechisms.

And if any of the other elders in your church have any exceptions.

I wished I had asked those questions.

These are important questions that any body joining a PCA church should ask. After all, you will be sitting under his teaching, and you should have a idea of what he believes, and what is and is not taught in church....
Hey now, that's a serious question! But I actually have already asked him that individually. He took one, on the word "recreation," I believe. As do many. He is currently the only elder since we are a very small church plant still going through the process of becoming a full, regular church and all that. Until then, I think we're under some sort of special presbyterian oversight until we grow and get some REs and deacons. I don't really know how the PCA does church plants.

-----Added 9/26/2009 at 02:24:11 EST-----

I meant "presbyterian" to be an adjective form of "presbytery" and quite forgot that it already refers to a style of church government. Maybe I should have said "presbyterial" oversight or just presbytery oversight...haha.

Ask him if it is appropriate to speak of God having a nature, and then follow it up with asking him to distinguish between the essence and the energies.

Ask him if it is appropriate to speak of God having a nature, and then follow it up with asking him to distinguish between the essence and the energies.
Oooh, another good one. How will I ever ask all the ones I want to ask without seriously disrupting the structure of the class? haha

Ask him if he thinks that Moses and Elijah were wearing name tags at the transfiguration scene, because Peter knew who they were and he had never seen them.

Ask him if he thinks that Moses and Elijah were wearing name tags at the transfiguration scene, because Peter knew who they were and he had never seen them.

They didn't have name tags back then...the mount of transfiguration was a closed caption mountain.

It's easy to tell that one was Moses and one was Elijah. Moses had a rod, and Elijah had a mantle. :p

But anyway, I vote for the "How about asking him to be executor of your estate in case you are raptured?" question. You're going to need to set up a poll with the best ones. :p

He got a kick out of the rapture question and said, "That's just messed up!" Thanks for all the great suggestions. I join officially on Nov. 1.

"So...Aaron...what's your position on the whole triclav -"
"Don't you start with me!"

Ask him if he's infralapsarian or supralapsarian... then take the contrary position and argue away... in love of course.
Ask him to explain free will in 15 seconds or less without quoting any confession or catechism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back