Ring Tones and the Third Commandment

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristopherPaul

Puritan Board Senior
Can ring tones be a violation of the third commandment?

One of my ring tones on my phone is "Holy, Holy, Holy". I use that tone as my alarm to wake me up in the morning. Prior to this I simply had a mere catchy tune, such as "Axel F" (theme from Beverly Hills Cop in 1984).

What I found was that tune would get stuck on replay as an earworm in my head every time my alarm went off or when my phone rang. (Try getting Axel F stuck in your head, it is quite annoying after a while).

I thought why not get scripture stuck in my head, and what better verse than Isaiah 6. So this morning my phone woke me up and now I have the reoccurring phrase, "Holy, Holy, Holy, is the Lord God Almighty" replaying in my mind.

However, since this is not the same as meditating on God's word, but simply creating another earworm, should this be considered a violation of the third commandment?

:detective:

Chris,

I don't see any problem. You're hearing a tune called "Nicea" (name of the tune in this case) and it happens that a poem titled "Holy, Holy, Holy".

I mean, then there's "Materna", the tune for "America the Beautiful". Some people sing metrical Psalms to that same tune. I don't, but that's because I can't get "America the Beautiful" out of my head so I use another tune. Other people have no problem with that.

If I ever wsplurge on ring tones myself, the first thing I'll grab is the tune "French" if I can get it. "I to the hills will lift mine eyes...".

No problem. (This may surprise some people).

BTW I get really pumped when I hear Axel F - I love it! But I can see how it can get stuck in your head; happens to me with other songs.

No tunes, my ring tone is actually a chorus of voices singing "Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord God almighty."

4.gif

I need to go back and learn to read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back