Road Trip Through MI, IN, IL, WI, and MN

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulCLawton

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello folks,
My family and I will be heading out on a road trip from Southern Ontario to Northern Ontario by way of MI, IN, IL, WI, and MN next week. We will be stopping in Grand Rapids for the weekend and worshipping at the Heritage Netherlands Reformed Congregation and then visiting the RHB bookstore on Monday.

I have the following questions for fellow PB members:

Any sites worth seeing along the way? We have children who are 4, 2, and 1. - I was considering stopping in South Bend to see the UND, but apparently the football stadium is closed in the summer. The extra time on the trip would be in the southern MI, northern IN and IL (including Chicago) area.

Anyone from (or who visits) WI that can recommend a hotel/motel in Madison and Eau Claire?

Thanks in advance for the input!

In the Twin Cities I recommend visiting Bethlehem Baptist Church. On the way to WI, the SPAM museum in Austin, MN is deliciously fun!
In WI, I've got a number of ideas depending upon your route. The Dells are nice, as are some things in Milwaukee.
Of course, Chicago has a lot of great sites - I went to college there, so I can tell you what I recommend depending upon how much time you have to spend.

In the Twin Cities I recommend visiting Bethlehem Baptist Church. On the way to WI, the SPAM museum in Austin, MN is deliciously fun!
In WI, I've got a number of ideas depending upon your route. The Dells are nice, as are some things in Milwaukee.
Of course, Chicago has a lot of great sites - I went to college there, so I can tell you what I recommend depending upon how much time you have to spend.

Thanks, what would you recommend in Chicago with a couple of hours to spare?

I live close to Madison WI. Not much to see here unfortunately. IDK if your family likes water slides but WI Dells has lots of them if you like tourist traps which I personally don't.

If you are heading west on highway 12 in MN you have to stop in Darwin, MN and see the world's largest ball of twine!

Spam museum and the world's largest ball of twine - we had been thinking of New York, Washington and the Golden Gate bridge......

I just got back early this morning from a long-weekend trip to the Twin Cities! John Piper (or Pastor John, as his flock calls him) will be gone this coming weekend, but he's on the schedule for the next several months after that! He preached an excellent sermon this past weekend on 2 Tim. 2:8-19. I visited Bethlehem's North campus and thoroughly enjoyed it!

He Cannot Deny Himself | hopeingod.org

Other highlights of the Twin Cities were the Como Park Zoo and Conservatory and Izzy's Ice Cream in St. Paul. My sister and brother-in-law just moved there, so this won't be my last trip!

We passed the Spam museum on our way back on I-74. We visited the Field of Dreams field in Dyersville, IA, which was neat.

Closer to Wisconsin, there's the St. Croix River scenic drive and Stillwater. We didn't go through there this trip, but I've been there before a long time ago, and it was such a pretty area!

The Dells are sadly very touristy and commercialized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back