Rob Bell is at it again with his new book

Discussion in 'Defending the Faith' started by jawyman, Feb 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kvanlaan

kvanlaan Puritan Board Doctor

Ain't that the sad truth...

2. jawyman

jawyman Puritan Board Junior

3. Andres

Andres Puritan Board Doctor

This is why it's so important to have a Confession of faith. A Confession removes ambiguity from words and makes a person put all their cards on the table when it comes to what they believe. They can't hide behind made-up terms and they cannot mince words. Calvin touches on this in Book 1, Chapter 13, section 4 of The Institutes. Here is a snippet:

4. Oecolampadius

Oecolampadius Puritan Board Sophomore

New York Times article on Rob Bell

It appears that the author of this article was given an advance copy of Bell's book and the following is what he says about the book:

5. torstar

torstar Puritan Board Sophomore

Now the book has been freely publicized into the NY Times and onto Good Morning America.

Do the blogerazzi, even the good ones, get a cut of Rob's royalties for all of this work?

Oh, and give a read to the 200 comments on the NYT from the article. Oh, there are some angry folk out there with no sympathy for even Rob's questions....

6. kvanlaan

kvanlaan Puritan Board Doctor

Wow, those comments are something else. I read 75 and was already choking on the 'god? - pshaw' attitude. You notice how liberals are never liberal?

7. calgal

calgal Puritan Board Graduate

I found his views as presented on YouTube & Good Morning America to be identical to the Mormon beliefs and am waiting for him to promote Baptism for the Dead next. :rolleyes:

8. DMcFadden

DMcFadden Puritan Board Doctor

One MSM source described the controversy this way:

Last week my youngest was home from Grand Rapids. As to Ivan's question about how popular he is, my daughter said that her classmates at a Christian college were all pretty much dividing themselves over Rob Bell. A "bunch" of them were siding with Piper ("farewell Bell") and Driscoll in slamming the book as heresy. Another "bunch" (Rob Bell acolytes) seemed to defend him with a ferocity reserved only for things emergent. Wouldn't it be sweet if the inerrancy of Scripture could generate as much energy as the defense of Rob Bell?

My take? Bell is an "artiste" who appeals to artsy-fartsy types. In an environment of so much Calvinism gone to seed up there in the CRC "holy land," he has seemed a breath of fresh air in a world of too much chosen frozen stale orthodoxy more rationalistic than Christian.

Bell's shtick seems to be a retail commercialized version of what he heard in seminary. Even in my day when Bell was in first grade, some of my Presbyterian seminary profs belittled Francis Schaeffer, Carl Henry, and other evangelical icons. What was not treated with an "on the one hand . . . but on the other hand" paralysis of analysis was subjected to a "has God really said?" kind of reflexive questioning.

Most of Bell's critics say that he specializes in asking questions . . . endless numbers of largely unanswered questions. They prove him to be "open minded," "cool," "relevant," and "trendy." Indeed, asking questions seems to be preferred to answering them. "Mystery," fuzziness, uncertainty, and a professional stance of perpetual doubt all add to the "emergent" ethos.

A pastor friend of mine (actually an inlaw to one of my own kids) has been to Grand Rapids to a Bell conference. Here is his take:

There you have it: Dr. Mouw calls it a "great book" and my son's father-in-law dubs it a "whimper from a piccolo." I'm pretty sure that the truth is somewhere in between those two! ;)

Following the request from a daughter-in-law to read it and offer perspective, I purchased the Kindle version of the book and hope to read it tonight.

9. Michael

Michael Puritan Board Senior

Martin Bashir picks Rob Bell apart: "You are amending the Gospel, the Christian message, so that it's palatable for contemporary people who find, for example, the idea of hell and heaven very difficult to stomach."

[video=youtube;Vg-qgmJ7nzA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg-qgmJ7nzA[/video]

10. ryanhamre

ryanhamre Puritan Board Freshman

MSNBC Host Interviews Rob Bell

Best Bell interview yet, and Rob gets his bell rung :lol::amen:

11. Moireach

Moireach Puritan Board Freshman

Complete heretic. It's worrying seeing so many of America's Christians being misled by idiots. What about Mark Driscoll is he any better?

12. torstar

Life is way too short to read that book.

I wouldn't insult the term "universalist" by calling the total rubbish he spouted to Bashir universalist.

13. ryanhamre

Here's Driscoll on the topic of hell- To Hell with Hell? | The Resurgence

So you tell me, is Mark Driscoll any better?

14. Moireach

Moireach Puritan Board Freshman

Thanks for that. He seems to be much better.
    I only asked because I was surprised to hear this guy was a founder of Mars Hill church which I've heard a lot of people talking about (particularly Driscoll).
    Strange to have such differing views within one church (though Bell's not there anymore I don't think..?).

15. ryanhamre

Not the same church, no affiliation.

I almost don't believe they use the same Holy book...

16. torstar

Driscoll abandoned those he started out with in the movement.

17. DMcFadden

DMcFadden Puritan Board Doctor

Driscoll is uncompromising in his repudiation of Bell's positions. His YouTube on the Virgin birth criticizes both the Jesus Seminar and a certain young pastor who wrote a book . . . (without using Bell's name). The Bell acolytes screamed like stuck pigs in response, rightly reading Driscoll as criticizing their guy.

Both Piper and Driscoll have been sharply critical of the new Bell 200 pg. question mark.

I honestly think that Bell has a hard time understanding what all of the fuss is about regarding his books, writings, and sermons. Because he attended a seminary that exalted in the asking of "questions," particularly very hard ones, he seems to see his shtick as benign. "Sheesh. I was just asking questions," one can almost hear him say. His devotees are fiercely defensive of him, echoing the pained reaction: "Why do so many negative people have to slander and defame a man of God? He does soooo much good."

When the president of your seminary is a philosopher who is a professional question asker by training (no slam intended), when the ethos of your school is to reach out to previously marginalized and under-represented groups that had been ignored or castigated by many fundamentalists and evangelicals, when your professors pay unusual attention to bending over backwards being "fair" to all sides and all views (e.g., Mormons, Muslims, atheists, and secularists generally), it is not surprising that a bright young entrepreneur would "emerge" who markets that ethos as his stock in trade.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  18. CIT

CIT Puritan Board Post-Graduate

19. Theoretical

Theoretical Puritan Board Professor

I think most who fall into liberal errors are sincere. Obviously some are more predatory, but quite a few others are sincere in their motives for teaching these doctrines. The problem is that they believe they have to save Christianity from itself. As they see it, Christianity is being discredited and unbelief and global suffering are going uncountered, so Christianity "must change or die" (title of a Spong book).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.