Robert E. Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lee and Jackson. Two men that I highly regard. I've read bios of both and they were great Christian men.

I like Jackson in particular, but Lee was THE Gentleman.

It is hard to find the 4 voulmes of Freeman on Lee for a cheap price, would the abridged version be too much of a cut?

Originally posted by Draught Horse
It is hard to find the 4 voulmes of Freeman on Lee for a cheap price, would the abridged version be too much of a cut?

I can't speak from first-hand knowledge, but I found this comment by an Amazon reviewer interesting:

Good, but read R.E. Lee, Freeman's unedited four-volume set on General Lee for a better insight into Lee family history (which was surely a motivation for the general), Virginia life and of course the full, in-depth story of this American hero's life before and after the war.

Happy Birthday, Robert E. Lee! :pilgrim:

jb_civil_surrender_1_e.jpg

Robert E. Lee on Leadership : Executive Lessons in Character, Courage, and Vision Prima. 256 pages. $14.95.

See my book review.

~Robert E. Lee on Leadership: Executive Lessons in Character, Courage and Vision~ is in the words of former Secretary of Defense Caspar Weinberger, "A splendid and inspiring book." The author H.W. Crocker III sketches an extraordinary little book profiling the extraordinary character and courage of the South's esteemed General Robert E. Lee. This timely piece chronicles the man Robert E. Lee, his spiritual convictions and extraordinary character forged amidst great hardship. The Lee family may have had aristocratic roots, but Lee embraced the esteem of the family name with humbleness instead of pomp and splendor. The great Confederate general is renowned by southroners, Union sympathizers, and Europeans alike. The esteemed Lord Acton sought dialogue with Lee after the war. President Theodore Roosevelt said affectionately that Lee was "the very greatest of all the great captains that the English-speaking peoples have brought forth." British Prime Minister Winston Churchill observed, "His noble presence and gentle, kindly manner were sustained by religious faith and an exalted character."

Lee was an astute student, and excelled at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point. He served with honor as scout and engineer in the U.S.-Mexican War making a reputation for himself. He developed a little business acumen trying to manage his plantation at Arlington. Lee was great because he was unassuming and was a gentleman of Christian piety. He learned from his mistakes-and yes he made mistakes. Lee was a brilliant strategist and considering the lowly status of his underdog army, he defied the odds. Lee in humility credited providence for his successes. Lee was also great because he surrounded himself by great men, as Crocker highlights in the chapter entitled Lee's Lieutenants. Both Stonewall Jackson and cavalry leader Jeb Stuart were bold, daring, and ultimately gave their life to the cause they fought alongside General Lee for.

Just as his father General Lighthorse Harry Lee before him, Lee pledged his life and sacred fortune for the cause of his country. As a patriot, Lee simply could not conceptualize a patriotism that didn't put God and Family first. In 1861, as Lee was summoned by the Lincoln administration with a prestigious offer to command a Union Army, his conscience dictated his forthright refusal of such an offer. To trample on home and hearth in the name of an abstraction like the "Union" was beyond Lee's comprehension. He refused to lead an army to invade the southron states. The Union after all was formed for the security of the several States and the people therein, not to wage war on her people. The proposition established in the 1776 Declaration of Independence, which posited "rule by consent of the governed" plainly goes against the idea of tethering the Union back together by force. With the eventual secession of his home state and its accession to the Confederate States, Lee led his sword in defense of his beloved Commonwealth of Virginia. The cost borne by Lee to stand by the courage of his convictions was enormous. Being a northern Virginian he soon lost his much-loved estate straddling the Potomac yet he boldly named his army, the Army of Northern Virginia because that was the ground he defiantly intended to hold. Always daring, Lee would eventually take war to the north in Pennsylvania.

Commendation is to be given to H.W. Crocker Jr. for profiling the late Robert Edward Lee and garnering lessons on leadership from this extraordinary leader. The great value of the text is it's readibility and Crocker possesses a unique dynamism as a storyteller which adds lustre to it. Lee was neither a politician nor a statesman, but he is an admirable exemplar of what true leadership is. In sum, there are a great deal of life lessons to be learned from the wily Grey Fox.

"...a union that can only be maintained by swords and bayonets and in which strife and civil war are to take the place of brotherly love and kindness has no charm for me. I shall mourn for my country and for the welfare of mankind. If the union is dissolved and the government disrupted, I shall return to my native state and share the miseries of my people, and save in defence, will draw my sword on none."
--Robert E. Lee

Ryan:

What's with the mispelling of the word "southern"? You did it several times, therefore, you must have a point to it.

Originally posted by trevorjohnson
Ryan:

What's with the mispelling of the word "southern"? You did it several times, therefore, you must have a point to it.

Yankee English...
civilization instead civilisation
color instead colour
southerner instead southroner

What's with you misspelling mispelling?
:p

"With all my devotion to the Union and the feeling of loyalty and duty of an American citizen, I have not been able to make up my mind to raise my hand against my relatives, my children, my home. I have therefore resigned my commission in the Army, and save in defense of my native State, with the sincere hope that my poor services may never be needed, I hope I may never be called on to draw my sword....."
--Lee in a letter to his sister, April 20, 1861

I don't get the "southron" thing either and have no interest in such quixotic pursuits as southern nationalism, etc. Call me a scalawag if you must :p

I don't know all that much about Lee, but I for one find it hard to swallow that we ought properly think of him as, "a true Christian warrior who served his country and his state in time of war and in peace." I don't understand why we as Christians somehow think that we should praise rebellions.

Originally posted by Pilgrim
I don't get the "southron" thing either and have no interest in such quixotic pursuits as southern nationalism, etc. Call me a scalawag if you must :p

Heck, I just went to Louisiana this past July to attend seminar on scholarship, and you Louisianans have a language all your on! Particularly southwest of Orleans where I went in the bayou.

At least no one is trying to rename the War Between the States as the "Second War of Independance" or "The War of Northern Aggression" as I have heard even pastors in the pulpit refer to it as...

Robert E. Lee's Religious Views - The Quotable Robert E. Lee
"There are few, I believe, in this enlightened age, who will not acknowledge that slavery as an institution is a moral and political evil."

"The doctrines and miracles of our Savior have required nearly two thousand years to convert but a small portion of the human race, and even among Christian nations what gross errors still exist! While we see the course of the final abolition of human slavery is still onward, and give it the aid of our prayers, let us leave the progress as well as the results in the hands of Him who, chooses to work by slow influences, and with whom a thousand years are but as a single day."

Lee freed his slaves before the war. Lee prayed for slavery to end.

Contrast that with General Grant, who freed his slaves only after it was abolished by the 13th Amendment...

The Quotable U. Grant
"If I thought this war was to abolish slavery, I would resign my commission and offer my sword to the other side."

"I never was an abolitionist, not even what could be called anti-slavery..."

Originally posted by Mike
I don't understand why we as Christians somehow think that we should praise rebellions.

If you wish to debate this issue, please start a new thread in the Politics forum. This thread was placed in church history for the purpose of honoring Robert E. Lee's Christian legacy.

Originally posted by Puritanhead
Contrast that with General Grant, who freed his slaves only after it was abolished by the 13th Amendment...

Grant came from a very Republican family (his father and brothers were very pro Republican) he himself was less enthusiastic about politics. He actually voted for Buchanen in '56 because he believed it would delay a war for at least another 4 years. His wife on the other hand was from a Southern slave owning family, and quite spoiled. She insisted on keeping her slaves through the first couple years of the war, until her last slave was freed in 1863, then she had to hire servants. Grant in contrast freed his male slave he had been given by the in-laws when he entered Missouri (a slave state) before the war, even though he was experiencing financial hardships.

[Edited on 1-19-2006 by Plimoth Thom]

Originally posted by LadyFlynt
Goodness, even I spell things as colour and neighbour, etc. :rolleyes: (we need a rolleyes smilie)

If we are going to take this country back from liberals and infidels, we need to start spelling things the old timey way, "u"s and all.

:up:

Originally posted by Puritanhead
Originally posted by Pilgrim

Heck, I just went to Louisiana this past July to attend seminar on scholarship, and you Louisianans have a language all your on! Particularly southwest of Orleans where I went in the bayou.

Yes indeed, especially down da bayou.

Originally posted by Draught Horse
Originally posted by LadyFlynt
Goodness, even I spell things as colour and neighbour, etc. :rolleyes: (we need a rolleyes smilie)

If we are going to take this country back from liberals and infidels, we need to start spelling things the old timey way, "u"s and all.

:up:

Yeah, that'll do the trick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back