Robert Jefferson Breckinridge (1800-1871)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Is anyone familiar with his two-volume systematic theology, published just before the Civil War?:

The Knowledge of God Objectively Considered (1858)
The Knowledge of God Subjectively Considered (1859)

Breckinridge was a politician, Presbyterian minister, educator, author - and the maternal grandfather of Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield.

By the way, I saw Breckinridge quoted in Volume 1 of Albert N. Martin's new "Pastoral Theology" - the first time I've ever seen the man quoted - or even cited - in modern literature, to the best of my knowledge. He must be more or less forgotten today.

I recall reading somewhere (a very long time ago) that Charles Hodge was quite critical of the two volumes mentioned in the OP. It would be worth checking the archives of the Princeton Review, where I think you will find a review of these books by Hodge.

I had a look myself: there are short notices of volume 1 here and of volume 2 here, which do not tell us a lot.

I recall reading somewhere (a very long time ago) that Charles Hodge was quite critical of the two volumes mentioned in the OP. It would be worth checking the archives of the Princeton Review, where I think you will find a review of these books by Hodge.

I had a look myself: there are short notices of volume 1 here and of volume 2 here, which do not tell us a lot.

James Henley Thornwell reviewed The Knowledge of God Objectively Considered, in the January 1858 issue of The Southern Presbyterian Review, 10.4 (January 1858) 593-622.

https://archive.org/details/southernpresbyt01unkngoog/page/n598

Dabney also reviews him in one of the volumes of his Discussions, if I remember correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back