Robert Lewis Dabney on the error of sneering at the opponents of organs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
I am posting this one partly for fun. I did have a chuckle when R. L. Dabney appeared to imply that C. H. Spurgeon was a Presbyterian! :lol:

... The resort to this species of reply appears the more ill-considered, when we remember that Dr. Girardeau is supporting the identical position held by all the early fathers, by all the Presbyterian reformers, by a Chalmers, a Mason, a Breckinridge, a Thornwell, and by a Spurgeon. Why is not the position as respectable in our author as in all this noble galaxy of true Presbyterians? Will the innovators claim that all these great men are so inferior to themselves?

The idea seems to be that the opposition of all these great men to organs arose simply out of their ignorant old-fogeyism and lack of culture; while our advocacy of the change is the result of our superior intelligence, learning and refinement. The ignorance of this overweening conceit makes it simply vulgar. These great men surpassed all who have succeeded them in elegant classical scholarship, in logical ability, and in theological learning. Their depreciators should know that they surpassed them just as far in all elegant culture. ...

For more, see Robert Lewis Dabney on the error of sneering at the opponents of organs.

Did Dabney use the term "sneer" somewhere or is that a gloss?

The reason I ask is, once upon a time, I was a church organist--before I was a Christian. I never noted anyone mocking those without organs in churches. Some might shake their head in pity.

Now, of course, I'm with Dabney and Spurgeon.

But I have an organ at home and still play Bach chorale preludes and organ works by Roman Catholics. But never on the Lord's day! ;)

But I have an organ at home and still play Bach chorale preludes and organ works by Roman Catholics.
That's wonderful. When I was in college studying music, I added organ as a major (I am primarily a percussionist). I loved playing Franck and Durufle, and I have a special love for Messiaen.

Ha, I'm not sure what in this title lends itself to that kind of a reading. My first thought was along the lines of, "Yeah, of course. Sneering at your opponent's organs is pretty twisted."

That's wonderful. When I was in college studying music, I added organ as a major (I am primarily a percussionist). I loved playing Franck and Durufle, and I have a special love for Messiaen.
I had Franck's Chorale No. 1 in E major under my fingers 3 years ago. I got derailed and I tried it last week. It's a mess.

Here is an old video of the midi organ I made. I recorded it on an Acer netbook with minimal processing power, so it is poor quality. But it was fun! And my hair was dark in those days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back