Roger Olson Book on the Shack

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatechumenPatrick

Puritan Board Freshman
The Shack should be a dead topic but Roger Olson, the "post-conservative" Arminian (in some sense of the word) just came out with a book evaluating and commentating on The Shack: Finding God in the Shack: Seeking Truth in a Story of Evil and Redemption
By: Roger E. Olson
I don't own it, but from what I've read Olson is mostly approving, which I find interesting coming from an academic theologian. I was under the impression that only credulous American Christians enamored in Gnosticism and therapeutic deism fell for the kind of garbage that is The Shack . Thoughts? I'd be interested in reading what Olson has to say, but I'm afraid not out of pure motives ("Aha, is this the fruit of your post-conservative loosey-goosey theology Olson?!!").

Olson is not worth your time. He has no respect for Calvinism, which I had already gathered hearing him speak on the problem of evil (I went to the university with which his seminary is affiliated), and that has consequences. Check this out:

In this world, because of our ignorance and sinfulness, really bad things sometimes happen and people do really evil and wicked things. Not because God secretly plans and prods them, but because God has said to fallen, sinful people, "OK, not my will then, but thine be done -- for now."
The God of Calvinism scares me; I’m not sure how to distinguish him from the devil. If you’ve come under the influence of Calvinism, think about its ramifications for the character of God. God is great but also good. In light of all the evil and innocent suffering in the world, he must have limited himself.

Full story here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back