Rom. 4:13, What is the "righteousness of faith"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puritan Sailor

Puritan Board Doctor
Rom. 4:13, What is the \"righteousness of faith\"?

For the promise that he would be the heir of the world was not to Abraham or to his seed through the law, but through the righteousness of faith.

What is the "righteousness of faith?" Greek help would be good here too. Thanks.

[Edited on 5-21-2005 by puritansailor]

I'm not sure what you mean by the question, but here go ...

It means that we receive God's spiritual promises of salvation through faith, not works.

Originally posted by puritansailor
For the promise that he would be the heir of the world was not to Abraham or to his seed through the law, but through the righteousness of faith.

What is the "righteousness of faith?" Greek help would be good here too. Thanks.

"through the righteousness of faith."

The statement is qualified by a preposition, dia, which means, in the genitive case through or by means of. This is incredibly significant since if the statement "the righteousness of faith" was in the accusative it would mean "because of." In other words, the righteousness comes through faith, but faith in and of itself is not the righteousness nor the foundation or fountain of righteousness.

Rather, faith openly receives Christ's righteousness for the forgiveness of sins and eternal life. This is testified in the immediate context, Romans 3:21-26 (forgiveness - Christ's passive righteousness: as signified by the words sacrifice, blood) as well as later in Romans 5:21 (eternal life - Christ's active righteousness: as signified in the words obedience, [eternal] life).

Rather, faith openly receives Christ's righteousness for the forgiveness of sins and eternal life. This is testified in the immediate context, Romans 3:21-26 (forgiveness - Christ's passive righteousness: as signified by the words sacrifice, blood) as well as later in Romans 5:21 (eternal life - Christ's active righteousness: as signified in the words obedience, [eternal] life). [/quote]

I think we all can attest to this blessedness of finding perfect righteousness in Christ.

So I guess we can say that faith is the only channel through which the Holy Spirit can apply Christ's blood and righteousness to our filthy, rotten, black, depraved hearts, making us just before a Holy God. Faith is then the only channel through which the Spirit of God continually cleanses our hearts of all sin until the Day of Christ Jesus, making proof of our justification that shows we belong to Him. This faith is not of us either, it is a gift of God's grace.

Here's a jab at those who would reject eternal security...We have to properly set the beginning terms for salvation to get a proper perspective on the matter. Take a look at Romans 4:20-22, speaking of Abraham's faith as an example of the kind of faith God requires,

"He did not waver at the promise of God through unbelief, but was strengthened in faith, giving glory to God, and being fully convinced that what He had promised He was also able to perform. And THEREFORE "it was accounted to him for righteousness"."

If God's promise is eternal life, and we must be "fully convinced" that God is able to perform the work, how can a person claim to be a Christian and at the same time deny this promise?

"He who believes in the Son of God has the witness in himself; he who does not believe God has made Him a liar, because he has not believed the testimony that God has given of His Son. And this is the testimony: that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son." "“I John 5:10-11

Those are good questions Jeremy but same them for another thread.

How would you all respond to someone who deefined the "righteousness of faith" as the obedience which flows from faith?

Those are good questions Jeremy but same them for another thread.

How would you all respond to someone who deefined the "righteousness of faith" as the obedience which flows from faith?

Context: Romans 4:5

And to the one who does not work but trusts him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted as righteousness

The righteousness, of which we speak here, is not our righteousness but God's. Paul started to speak of this point many, many verses before:

Romans 1:17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

Romans 3:22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

Romans 3:25-26 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God, To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.

Furthermore Abraham was not justified by works!

Romans 4:2-3 For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God. For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.

Faith, as I pointed out earlier, appropriates or receives the an extrospective righteousness, an alien righteousness. Christ's obedience: passive and active!

What do you think?

In reference to Romans 3:21-31: "œAlthough Paul says that the law should not be overthrown, he also says that faith rather than law manifests the righteousness of God"¦. When he was a Pharisee, Paul would have been incapable of saying that faith rather than law manifests the righteousness of God in any meaningful way. No other Jews in the first century distinguish faith and law in the way Paul does. For a Jew, faith fundamentally precedes anything as well, but there is no need to distinguish between it and law." Alan Segal, "Paul the Convert: The Apostolate and Apostasy of Saul the Pharisee (page 128)

"For Moses describeth the righteousness which is of the law, That the man which doeth those things shall live by them. But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise, Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above) Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.) But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach"
Romans 10:5-8

andreas.:candle:

Quote:

"How would you all respond to someone who deefined the "righteousness of faith" as the obedience which flows from faith?"

I would say that is a good assumption. But we probably shouldn't go beyond the text. Romans 4 is an argument for faith alone apart from works. There are plenty of other texts that make it clear that genuine faith is evidenced by obedience. I would respond by saying the same as Fred. Romans 4:5 is the keystone of the entire chapter.

All we have to do is move one step further into 4:16 and we see '...Therefore...it is of faith that it might be according to grace...'

We shouldn't pollute the pure milk of the Word with mention of obedience in order to prove a point that is clear elsewhere. In fact, feeding on the pure teaching of faith alone by grace alone is the only teaching that can give us true knowledge of the Lord's grace. I like to say to people that push obedience without thoroughly explaining grace that it's like depriving a baby of his mother's milk. We'll have unhealthy, pseudo-Christians if we don't emphasize grace enough. Anyone who is truly saved is standing on God's promise of eternal life in Christ based upon His finished work alone.

[Edited on 5-21-2005 by Jeremy]

Thankyou for the responses so far. They help. Another inquiry along the same line. What is the nature of faith? How do we connect the purely receptive character of faith receiving the imputed righteousness of Christ, to the more aggressive nature of reaching out and obeying?

Sorry to be so quick to reply, but this subject is always on my heart.

I believe the issue of repentance is necessary to bring into the equation. We are speaking of a flippant faith vs. a repentant faith here.

We are talking about the other side of the coin.

Thankyou for the responses so far. They help. Another inquiry along the same line. What is the nature of faith? How do we connect the purely receptive character of faith receiving the imputed righteousness of Christ, to the more aggressive nature of reaching out and obeying?

I'm would affirm this definition:

Q21: What is true faith?

A21: True faith is not only a sure knowledge, whereby I hold for truth all that God has revealed to us in His Word,[1] but also a hearty trust,[2] which the Holy Ghost [3] works in me by the Gospel,[4] that not only to others, but to me also, forgiveness of sins, everlasting righteousness, and salvation are freely given by God,[5] merely of grace, only for the sake of Christ's merits.[6]

1. James 1:6
2. Rom. 4:16-18; 5:1
3. II Cor. 4:13; Phil. 1:19, 29
4. Rom. 1:16; 10:17
5. Heb. 11:1-2; Rom. 1:17
6. Eph. 2:7-9; Rom. 3:24-25; Gal. 2:16; Acts 10:43

True faith receives and trusts. True faith has to reach out in the sense of calling upon God, but there is no obedience per se in justifying faith other than responding to the call of the gospel by believing.

Luke 18:13-14

"And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner. I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted."

:ditto:

Also, if we separate repentance and faith in the gospel, we have 1/2 of a gospel.

So to the question, 'what is the nature of faith?' I believe 2 Corinthians 7:10 defines the nature of faith and qualifies it well,

"For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death."

Originally posted by Jeremy
:ditto:

Also, if we separate repentance and faith in the gospel, we have 1/2 of a gospel.

So to the question, 'what is the nature of faith?' I believe 2 Corinthians 7:10 defines the nature of faith and qualifies it well,

"For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death."

Faith and repentance are two parts of one work, conversion, but they are not the same thing. Both are necessary unto salvation, and yet only one justifies: faith. Otherwise if we speak of being justified by a repentant faith (such as Norman Shepherd) we put the free grace of the gospel into jeopardy, unless we mean that repentance prepared us for faith because we have understood that we are sinners and in need of Christ's salvation.

My explanation was clear in my own mind, but came out hazy in textual form. I agree with you 100% that God's grace is free and as I said in previous reponses to this thread that we can't pollute God's free grace.

But most people in mainline churches don't recognize the need for repentance. Jesus came to save us from our sin. Even throughout our lives as a Christian, we must practice repentance every day. But it is repentance that necessitates faith in Jesus. I like Hebrews chapter 4 which offers us "rest" from our effort.

One of my favorite hymns is 'My Faith Has Found A Resting Place'

My explanation was clear in my own mind, but came out hazy in textual form. I agree with you 100% that God's grace is free and as I said in previous reponses to this thread that we can't pollute God's free grace.

But most people in mainline churches don't recognize the need for repentance. Jesus came to save us from our sin. Even throughout our lives as a Christian, we must practice repentance every day. But it is repentance that necessitates faith in Jesus. I like Hebrews chapter 4 which offers us "rest" from our effort.

One of my favorite hymns is 'My Faith Has Found A Resting Place'

Well I have never heard of that hymn, but I agree with the rest of your post.

Never heard of the hymn either,but it is not our faith but Christ's faith.

"Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified." Galatians 2:16

Assurance is what faith essentially is. Assurance of one´s salvation by the grace of God is the nature, of faith. Faith trusts Jesus Christ as the Savior of the one who believes. Weak faith is certain of salvation, as well as strong faith.

Phil 3:8 Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ 9 and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith"” 10 that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, 11 that by any means possible I may attain the resurrection from the dead.

Originally posted by andreas

"Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified." Galatians 2:16

Good responses guys. My only concern is that we not get into semantics over words. It is definitely Christ's faith, but in this Galatians 2:16 passage and in others, the KJV as far as I know is the only version that renders it as 'the faith of Jesus Christ'. Other translations say 'faith in Jesus Christ.' So that's probably a shaky stance to take. Romans 4:5 says, 'to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly...his....faith is counted for righteousness.' Also Titus 1:1 says, '...according to the faith of God's elect.' So is it His faith or ours...or is it His faith which He gives us and calls it ours so we can be just before God?'

---------------------------------------------------------------

"My Faith Has Found A Resting Place"

My faith has found a resting place"”Not in device or creed:
I trust the Ever living One"” His wounds for me shall plead.

Enough for me that Jesus saves"”This ends my fear and doubt;
A sinful soul I come to Him"” He'll never cast me out.

My heart is leaning on the Word"”The written Word of God:
Salvation by my Savior's name"” Salvation through His blood.

My great Physician heals the sick"” The lost He came to save;
For me His precious blood He shed"” For me His life He gave.

Refrain

I need no other argument, I need no other plea; It
is enough that Jesus died, And that He died for me.

How do you think Christ's faith justifies us Andreas?

This is wrong, and dangerous. It has been addressed in several threads. Christ did not have faith. He had no need for faith, for He was without sin.

The "faith of Christ" is an objective genitive, best translated by all modern versions as "faith in Christ." Further, that is what the KJV meant.

Good responses guys. My only concern is that we not get into semantics over words. It is definitely Christ's faith, but in this Galatians 2:16 passage and in others, the KJV as far as I know is the only version that renders it as 'the faith of Jesus Christ'. Other translations say 'faith in Jesus Christ.' So that's probably a shaky stance to take. Romans 4:5 says, 'to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly...his....faith is counted for righteousness.' Also Titus 1:1 says, '...according to the faith of God's elect.' So is it His faith or ours...or is it His faith which He gives us and calls it ours so we can be just before God?'

---------------------------------------------------------------

"My Faith Has Found A Resting Place"

My faith has found a resting place"”Not in device or creed:
I trust the Ever living One"” His wounds for me shall plead.

Enough for me that Jesus saves"”This ends my fear and doubt;
A sinful soul I come to Him"” He'll never cast me out.

My heart is leaning on the Word"”The written Word of God:
Salvation by my Savior's name"” Salvation through His blood.

My great Physician heals the sick"” The lost He came to save;
For me His precious blood He shed"” For me His life He gave.

Refrain

I need no other argument, I need no other plea; It
is enough that Jesus died, And that He died for me.

Jeremy,

The faith is NOT Christ's faith. That is a subtle road to heresy. The merit is Christ's merit, applied to us by our faith, which is not our own, but the gift of God (Eph. 2:8).

Faith of Christ and Faith in Christ are the same thing, as long as you understand the context and the original language, from what I understand.

Psalm 22:8

"He trusted on the LORD that he would deliver him: let him deliver him, seeing he delighted in him."

Ephesians 2:8-9

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast."

Originally posted by WrittenFromUtopia
Faith of Christ and Faith in Christ are the same thing, as long as you understand the context and the original language, from what I understand.

Exactly. The genitive case in Greek ( "of" ) can be either subjective of objective. The classic case for this is "the love of God" in Romans 5:5, from

ἡ ἀγάπη τοῦ θεοῦ

in the Greek

If it is a subjective genitive, it would mean "God's love {that He has for us}"

If it is an objective genitive, it would mean "the love {we have} for God"

The same is the case here: the text means "faith in Christ" or "faith which has as its object, Christ"

The Reformers were unanimous on this; Luther, Calvin, the Puritans, etc. There is (or was) a huge thread on this about a year ago.

Psalm 22:8

"He trusted on the LORD that he would deliver him: let him deliver him, seeing he delighted in him."

This refers to the complete trust that Christ had in his father. It was by sight, not faith.

Ephesians 2:8-9

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast."

This is the faith of the believer. See Habbakuk 2:4; Rom. 3:26.

Good responses guys. My only concern is that we not get into semantics over words. It is definitely Christ's faith, [/quote]

Thank you for clarifying. I guess this quoted statement of mine is what's causing all the trouble. I agree with you.

What I mean by Christ's faith is not that He had imperfect faith as we do, but that it is 'His faith' in the sense that He is the 'Author and Finisher of our faith' as it says in Hebrews 12:2. It is our faith in His completed righteousness that He gives us.

But I have to disagree that Christ had no faith at all. He emptied Himself when He came to earth and showed us what it means to truly live by faith. This is I believe part of what it means to confess that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. He is our perfect, merciful High Priest who became completely human and bore our sin on the cross. He is the God/Man.

Good responses guys. My only concern is that we not get into semantics over words. It is definitely Christ's faith,

Thank you for clarifying. I guess this quoted statement of mine is what's causing all the trouble. I agree with you.

What I mean by Christ's faith is not that He had imperfect faith as we do, but that it is 'His faith' in the sense that He is the 'Author and Finisher of our faith' as it says in Hebrews 12:2. It is our faith in His completed righteousness that He gives us.

But I have to disagree that Christ had no faith at all. He emptied Himself when He came to earth and showed us what it means to truly live by faith. This is I believe part of what it means to confess that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. He is our perfect, merciful High Priest who became completely human and bore our sin on the cross. He is the God/Man. [/quote]

Christ did not live by faith because he had no mediator to trust upon. He lived in perfect communion with God as Adam once did before the Fall. Only sinners live by faith because they must depend upon the merits of Christ for there relationship with God. Christ relied upon His own merits to remain in communion with God in His human nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back