Roman Catholicism v. 1 Timothy 2:5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you did very well! I assume that you have given the gospel to him also. Jesus is not only the one and only mediator, He has offered ONE SACRIFICE FOR SINS FOR ALL TIME etc. Wish you the best in Christ. Dennis Fetherbay, Christian Heritage Reformed Presbyterian Church, Endicott, N.Y.

My question is why would anyone want to go to Mary or any other dead saint when Jesus is ever before the Throne of God interceding on our behalf. After all He said that No man cometh unto the Father by Him!

(Joh 14:6) Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
(Rom 5:10) For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.
(Heb 2:17) Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.(Heb 2:18) For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted.
(Heb 7:25) Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.

(Mat 6:7) But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

(Mat 6:8) Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

(Mat 6:9) After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.

(Mat 6:10) Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.

(Mat 6:11) Give us this day our daily bread.

(Mat 6:12) And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.

(Mat 6:13) And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

(Joh 14:13) And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

(Joh 15:16) Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.

(Joh 16:22) And ye now therefore have sorrow: but I will see you again, and your heart shall rejoice, and your joy no man taketh from you.

(Joh 16:23) And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you.

(Joh 16:24) Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full.

(Joh 16:25) These things have I spoken unto you in proverbs: but the time cometh, when I shall no more speak unto you in proverbs, but I shall shew you plainly of the Father.

(Joh 16:26) At that day ye shall ask in my name: and I say not unto you, that I will pray the Father for you:

(Joh 16:27) For the Father himself loveth you, because ye have loved me, and have believed that I came out from God.

(Joh 16:28) I came forth from the Father, and am come into the world: again, I leave the world, and go to the Father.

Seems like we have a lot of prescription to go directly to God by a specific way. To go any other way is neglecting that and thwarting what Jesus said. It is slapping him in the face by not believing him and what He said about How God cares for us personally.

The big big issue with Roman Catholicism, that I remember when I was a part of it, was that for the most of them, they don't read their bible. So when they go to church, they are tough (loosely) about the lies.

So when someone doesn't read the scripture, they are easily deceived. It's a pity, but it's the reality. And around here, the ones that do read, have the bible of Jerusalem.

They even have an "epistle to the Catholics"

1 Timothy 2:5 (ESV)
For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus...

I asked my dad yesterday why Catholics pray to Mary. Maybe it wasn't such a smart move on my part to say from the start that it's blasphemous, but dad claims there's nothing wrong with "asking the dead to pray for us." I pointed out that the Bible *specifically* says there is only one intercessor for us, and that is Jesus Christ, but he thinks otherwise. He said something along the lines of:

"Look at it this way. When you know you're in trouble with me about something, who do you go to? Your mom. You ask her to try and get you a 'lighter sentence'."

Again, that's not word-for-word, but I was apt to point out that I wouldn't *pray* to my mom.

He also said that, if it's wrong to pray to Mary, then Baptists and everyone else has it wrong by going to other people and saying, "Hey, can you pray for me?" He said that's the same thing as getting them to intercede on your behalf. To which, again, I told him that group prayer is encouraged in many different places in the Bible.

Is there anything else I missed, maybe, that would have made things more clear to him?

(To Admins: Again, sorry if this is in the wrong thread. Sometimes I come up with things for the forums and I honestly just have no clue what they fall under. I will take no offense if the topic is moved.)
Roman Catholics are not "sola scriptura," they believe "sacred traditions" is unwritten scripture. And this is where they get these false gospel and practices from. This is why they have so many un-scriptural practices and make them into a doctrine. Since they teach the Pope is Peters successor, and salvation is only in the RCC who are responsible to give the world the gospel, they continue to develop new doctrines and evil practices.

When a RC prays to Mary, know that they believe her to be the only other person besides Jesus who was born sinless, and never sinned, and finally, co-Mediator with Christ.

Asking others to pray for us or with us is scriptural. But it is not scriptural to pray to or ask Mary to pray for us. Protestants also do not build shrines in honor of their neighborhood friend. We also do not call our friends patron saints.

Catholicism is so far from God's word it is crazy. The only reason the pope himself does not recognize it is because he is there for a purpose. Good grief, if he did see the antichrist system he heads for what it is, I think he would come undone.

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 PM ----------

My question is why would anyone want to go to Mary or any other dead saint when Jesus is ever before the Throne of God interceding on our behalf. After all He said that No man cometh unto the Father by Him!

Well Jesus picked Peter as the first pope for a reason. He wanted to make sure we were not left on our own without a successor, a Vicar. The Church of Rome is the holder of all truth, if you don't believe it, just ask them.

What else would you expect from the antichrist system?

Shannon, Mike Gendron of Proclaiming the Gospel Ministries in Dallas, TX has some great helps on his website. I'm publishing his book on Romanism right now. He was a devout Romanist for 34 years before the Lord changed his heart and opened his eyes to gospel truth.

Look them up and see if they can be of any help.

Originally Posted by JennyG
I think now he was just running with the hare and hunting with the hounds
What a delightful Scottish expression! That sounds much better than the American "he wants to have his cake and eat it to."
why, thank you, Tim!
though we do use the cake version too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back