Romans 13:1 and Theocracy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christopher88

Puritan Board Sophomore
*Note, my search engine for the PB does not load up sorry if this was posted again"
My question follows in this line of thought; how does one follow Paul's orders in Romans 13:1 if he or she is on the side of a theocracy?

By theocracy in my own terms and by no means an educated response. Theocracy" A government and society which follows the laws of God, and its leaders are Biblical Christians."
What I am getting at is what you touched on. If a government takes away the right of Christians "Right to worship, preach, pray...." or places a law which goes against God; does the Christian have a right to oppose.

I am border line on the side of Theocracy, to establish an older Israel "Mosaic law"type of land. The only reasoning I can make as to why Christians today do not have a theocracy is of Romans 13:1.

I stand with understanding as a Christian if Sharia Law were to be established in my home country, or any type of tyranny; personally I would not want to submit. This is where I believe in having more a "theocracy" political system would allow Christian leadership and not secular leadership. However I am not using this thread to justify being of theocracy or against it.

What I want to know is when does a Christian have a right to oppose government? So in conclusion I guess my OP was not on theocracy but more confusion with Romans 13:1.

Josephus invented the word "theocracy" for the OT Israelite Republic and Monarchy, which governed OT Israel, which was the OT Church.

The theocracy continues - in both its priestly and royal aspects - in the visible Church and its spiritual discipline and sanctions. The OT kings ruled the theocracy as "the Lord's Anointed". The Lord Jesus rules His Church/theocracy as the Lord's Anointed (Christ). The elders and priests administered sanctions (including occasionally excommunication by death) and godly rule. The elders and priesthood of all believers administer spiritual discipline and sanctions today.

In the political realm, the rulers of e.g. Britain or the USA are not the Lord's Anointed. Civil government can be more or less Christian, but we are not called to go back in a simplistic way to the childhood theocracy and discipline of Moses in our civil government. There is a general moral equity in the law of Moses for civil government, rather than a specific blueprint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back