Romans 14 and abstinence

Status
Not open for further replies.

PointyHaired Calvinist

Puritan Board Junior
I was reading Romans 14 today and it seems at first glance to be rejecting the doctrine of Christian Liberty. I know there have been posts on this before, but I wanted to bring it up again.

It sounds to me like more mature believers, while theoretically having liberty, must for the sake of not offending the weak brethren abstain from doing anything that would cause them to "stumble."

I've heard this doesn't apply to Pharisees but I'm still puzzled and bothered by this passage. I like beer, wine,and certain spirits in moderation, but many Christians think that to drink is a sin. Likewise I like bacon and most pork products, but there are a few "weak" Christians who think we should keep kosher (which cuts out cheeseburgers, another favorite!)

Options
1) Use your Christian liberty (let's say eating pork for our example, but many other substances come to mind) and instruct them in the right way. But this doesn't seem to jive with this passage.
2) Don't eat pork in their presence, but feel free to do so in your own home. Sounds good and I tend toward it, but what happens when the kosher- keeping brother learns later on that you eat pork at home? Won't they still be scandalized?
3) Even though you theoretically can eat pork, since there are brethren that could possibly be scandalized we shouldn't anyway "for the sake of the gospel". V. 23 "
The faith that you have, keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the one who has no reason to pass judgment on himself for what he approves.", also"Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble." 1 Corinthians 8:13

How far do we go here? Does the one with more convictions - even if we think they are in addition to Scripture - trump the "stronger brother" for the sake of love?

Don't eat pork in their presence, but feel free to do so in your own home. Sounds good and I tend toward it, but what happens when the kosher- keeping brother learns later on that you eat pork at home?

The second sentence quoted sounds like the advocate for the position was hiding the fact that he ate pork, and his hypocrisy finally came to light.

I do believe that choices 1, 2, and 3 above are all wrong. The correct answer if this is a multiple choice test is "D - None of the above".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back