Romans 2:25 Conscience accuses pagan on day of judgment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eoghan

Puritan Board Senior
When studying Romans I was conscious of the way Paul addressed himself to the question of pagans/gentiles and their standing on the Day of judgment. In Romans 2:25 he explains that even though they are without the OT scriptures, the moral law is written on their conscience (to some extent) and that this will condemn their evil actions (or at least some of them).

I can't remember who or where but someone said that on the Day of judgment our conscience will be one of the witnesses against us. Anyone tell me where or who?

When studying Romans I was conscious of the way Paul addressed himself to the question of pagans/gentiles and their standing on the Day of judgment. In Romans 2:25 he explains that even though they are without the OT scriptures, the moral law is written on their conscience (to some extent) and that this will condemn their evil actions (or at least some of them).

I can't remember who or where but someone said that on the Day of judgment our conscience will be one of the witnesses against us. Anyone tell me where or who?
"Their conscience at the same time attesting, etc. He could not have more forcibly urged them than by the testimony of their own conscience, which is equal to a thousand witnesses. By the consciousness of having done good, men sustain and comfort themselves; those who are conscious of having done evil, are inwardly harassed and tormented. Hence came these sayings of the heathens — “A good conscience is the widest sphere; but a bad one is the cruelest executioner, and more fiercely torments the ungodly than any furies can do.” There is then a certain knowledge of the law by nature, which says, “This is good and worthy of being desired; that ought to be abhorred.”

But observe how intelligently he defines conscience: he says, that reasons come to our minds, by which we defend what is rightly done, and that there are those which accuse and reprove us for our vices; (74) and he refers this process of accusation and defense to the day of the Lord; not that it will then first commence, for it is now continually carried on, but that it will then also be in operation; and he says this, that no one should disregard this process, as though it were vain and evanescent. And he has put, in the day, instead of, at the day, — a similar instance to what we have already observed." Calvin on Romans 2:15

I'm fairly sure that is referenced in James Fisher's Exposition of the Shorter Catechism, though I cannot remember which question. That said, believers will be openly acknowledged and acquitted on the Day of Judgment, so it may be true to say that conscience will be a witness against unbelievers.

I have wondered recently about how the Day of Judgment will be for believers. Will our sins be manifested before the assembled universe to the glory of Christ who put them away, or will they be forever forgotten and not mentioned on the Day of Judgment?

I have wondered recently about how the Day of Judgment will be for believers. Will our sins be manifested before the assembled universe to the glory of Christ who put them away, or will they be forever forgotten and not mentioned on the Day of Judgment?

Heb.8:12, "For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more."

(Quoting Jer.31:34; requoted Heb.10:17)

Is. 43:25, "I, even I, am he that blotteth out thy transgressions for mine own sake, and will not remember thy sins."

Contrast to others, destined for judgment, whose sins he will remember, Hos:8:13, or 9:9, "They have deeply corrupted themselves, as in the days of Gibeah: therefore he will remember their iniquity, he will visit their sins."

Rev.18:5, "For her sins have reached unto heaven, and God hath remembered her iniquities."

I am confident (and thankful) that those who are righteous-in-Christ will not have their sins reexamined, their shames exposed.

I also cannot understand why some folk want/expect to have their "good deeds" examined, exposed for all to see, as they intend to have some public recognition of this "proof" of their diligence. They want God to say, "Clear and convincing evidence you belong in heaven!" I don't see how one should have the "good" noticed to the exclusion of the "bad."

I don't think these--if they are of the redeemed--will get this fantasy. But if they are not of the redeemed, they certainly will get something like it. Their clotted rags will be shown for what they are.

On the day when men are judged "according to their works," (Rev.20:13), let this be my song (and yours):

Thy works, not mine, O Christ,
Speak gladness to this heart;
They tell me all is done;
They bid my fear depart.

(chorus)To whom, save thee,
Who canst alone
For sin atone,
Lord, shall I flee?
Thy pains, not mine, O Christ,
Upon the shameful tree,
Have paid the law's full price
And purchased peace for me.

Thy cross, not mine, O Christ,
Has borne the awful load
Of sins that none in heav'n
Or earth could bear but God.

Thy righteousness, O Christ,
Alone can cover me:
No righteousness avails
Save that which is of thee.
Is there a single thing I could do, that could enhance the quality of my robe? A sash I made, or a pin? Imagine a construction paper/crayon creation of a Kindergartner plastered on a wedding dress. No thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back