Romans 8 just jumped out and grabbed me tonight!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReformedWretch

Puritan Board Doctor
Romans 8
1 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus,[1] who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. 2For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. 3For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, 4that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. 5For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. 6For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 7Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be. 8So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God. 9But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His. 10And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. 11But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.

Wow.... every argument I've had over the past year or two is answered in this passage. I've heard this passage before, I am sure I have read it many times even! But the Lord just allowed it to reach out and grab me this evening. I have been so disgusted lately with those who teach "easy believeism" . I have grown weary of those who have boldly told me that teaching behavior change in regard to those who accept Christ is the equivalent of preaching works righteousness.

I've asked friend after friend, internet message board after internet message board what my response should be to those who insist we are completely free from the law because of Christ's death and as such I cannot and should not preach the law in any way, shape, or form again. I have gotten some great answers, but none really grabbed me. I continued to struggle with depression even, over this very issue.

Praise His holy name that tonight I have been delivered from that state and assured that my words have been correct all along, because they are God's words! How many services have I been to and heard the benediction include the beginning of this passage?

"There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus."

But it doesn't end there does it?

Who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.

We seem to have a CONDITION along with that do we not? Have I heard only the first part of this passage for so long that it was begun to sicken me? You see, only those who walk according to the Spirit are no longer condemned! Those who walk according to the flesh still indeed remain condemned!

He condemned sin in the flesh, 4that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

There's that condition again! The law is fulfilled through Christ for those willing to walk according to the Spirit! NOT for those who walk according to their flesh! And walk here is clearly an action! Walking clearly does not represent only believing.

6For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 7Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be. 8So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

The carnal minded cannot be subject to the law of God or its fulfillment in Christ! We simply cannot walk according to our own wants, needs, and thinking and claim that the law if fulfilled for us! You cannot tell me to stop preaching the law if you are not walking according to the Spirit and if you are walking according to the Spirit the law certainly should not offend you because it would indeed be fulfilled for you through Christ!

Romans 8

12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors--not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh. 13For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. 14For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. 15For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, "Abba, Father." 16The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, 17and if children, then heirs--heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together.

You see, we are debtors! We owe Christ our LIFE! We have no "right" to live according to the flesh! This is not our "liberty"! We will only live when we put the deeds of our flesh to DEATH! We put those deeds to death by the leading of the Holy Spirit and it is this leading, and our surrender to it that assures us we are "sons of God."

But that's hard, some say!

Romans 8

18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.

May we all develop that mind set as we seek to please Him that we owe!

May God richly bless you all!

-Adam

[b:82359571d0]Psalm 19:7-11 [/b:82359571d0]The law of the LORD is perfect, restoring the soul; The testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple. (8) The precepts of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart; The commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes. (9) The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring forever; The judgments of the LORD are true; they are righteous altogether. (10) They are more desirable than gold, yes, than much fine gold; Sweeter also than honey and the drippings of the honeycomb. (11) Moreover, by them Your servant is warned; In keeping them there is great reward.

http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?language=english&version=NASB&passage=psalm+19:7-11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back