Romans & Hebrews

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickclayfan

Puritan Board Freshman
I have recently been reading Owen's Hebrews and have realized something, but I don't know how valid the thought is. Here goes--in regard to Christ's redemptive work, Hebrews deals principally with the sacrifice of Christ, while Romans principally focuses on His intercession. Hebrews lays out what was done to atone for our sin, while Romans describes the application of that work to the elect. Christ's intercession does not merely consist in defending those who are already justified from the accusation of Satan, but, as John Owen points out (Hebrews Vol. 5, p. 536-537), it also consists of Christ sending the Holy Spirit to apply His redemptive work to the elect.

Hence, two sides of Christ's offering are at large considered by Hebrews and Romans. Certainly, mention is made of Christ's sacrifice in Romans and His intercession in Hebrews. However, the primary focus of both is His sacrifice in Hebrews, and His intercession in the other.

I was always confused as to the importance of Christ's intercession. I always viewed it as Christ's defense of us against the attacks of Satan. This seemed liked a redundant task seeing that God was aware that atonement was made and His justice was satisfied. However, having come across Owen's explanation, it is fully evident why His intercession is necessary. No intercession = no application = no salvation = blood spilled in vain.

In the light of the preceding (predominantly the first two paragraphs), is proper to understand the emphasis of Hebrews and Romans (in regard to Christ's work) in such a way?

I have recently been reading Owen's Hebrews and have realized something, but I don't know how valid the thought is. Here goes--in regard to Christ's redemptive work, Hebrews deals principally with the sacrifice of Christ, while Romans principally focuses on His intercession. Hebrews lays out what was done to atone for our sin, while Romans describes the application of that work to the elect. Christ's intercession does not merely consist in defending those who are already justified from the accusation of Satan, but, as John Owen points out (Hebrews Vol. 5, p. 536-537), it also consists of Christ sending the Holy Spirit to apply His redemptive work to the elect.

Hence, two sides of Christ's offering are at large considered by Hebrews and Romans. Certainly, mention is made of Christ's sacrifice in Romans and His intercession in Hebrews. However, the primary focus of both is His sacrifice in Hebrews, and His intercession in the other.

I was always confused as to the importance of Christ's intercession. I always viewed it as Christ's defense of us against the attacks of Satan. This seemed liked a redundant task seeing that God was aware that atonement was made and His justice was satisfied. However, having come across Owen's explanation, it is fully evident why His intercession is necessary. No intercession = no application = no salvation = blood spilled in vain.

In the light of the preceding (predominantly the first two paragraphs), is proper to understand the emphasis of Hebrews and Romans (in regard to Christ's work) in such a way?

I certainly agree with the general analysis about the different features of Christ's mediatorial work in Hebrews and Romans that you articulate. I think Hebrews presents Christ's work from a different angle and that includes a very rich discussion of Christ's Office as Priest. I also agree that His intercession (as well as His sacrifice) are crucial for the purchase of the elect's faith.

If your question is whether or not Hebrews and Romans can be boiled down to say: "These are their respective emphases", then I'm not comfortable with that. I think what you stated is true but not exhaustive and that Romans and Hebrews overarching emphases may be different.

Do you have the specific quote from Owen? I would love to read it.

Here is the quote:
Should I undertake to show the ends of the present mediatory life of Christ for the church, it would be too great and long a decursion from the text. However, the whole of the work of this life of his may be reduced into these three heads : 1. His immediate actings towards the church itself, which respects his prophetical office. 2. His actings for the church in the world, by virtue and power of his kingly office. 3. His actings with God the Father in their behalf, in the discharge of his sacerdotal office.

1. The first consisteth in his sending and giving the Holy Ghost unto the church. He lives for ever to send the Holy Spirit unto his disciples. Without this constant effect of the present mediatory life of Christ the being of the church would fail, it could not subsist one moment. For hereon depends, (1.) All saving light to understand the word of God, or spiritual things in a spiritual manner; wherein he continueth the exercise of his prophetical office: (2.) All habitual grace, whereby the souls of the elect are quickened and regenerated: (3.) All supplies of actual grace; which the whole church hath from him every moment, and without which it could yield no obedience unto God: (4.) All spiritual gifts, the sole foundation and means of the church's edification, and without which it can have no real benefit by any gospel ordinances or administrations : (5.) All comfort and all consolation, which in all variety of occurrences the church doth stand in need of: which things I have elsewhere spoken unto at large.

2. His actings by virtue of his mediatory life for the church in the world are also various; wherein he exerciseth his kingly power, that power which is given unto him as he is "head over all things unto the church," Eph. i. 22. Hence is the whole preservation of the church in this world by glorious effects of divine wisdom and power. Hence doth proceed the present controls that are given unto its adversaries. And hence will proceed their future destruction; for he must reign until all his enemies be made his foot stool. In the exercise of this life, wherein the keys of hell and of death are committed unto him, doth he put forth his mighty power over the world, Satan, death, the grave, and hell, for the eternal security and salvation of the church. Did he not live this life for us in heaven, neither the whole church nor any one member of it could be preserved one moment from utter ruin. But hereby are all their adversaries continually disappointed.

3. By virtue of this life he acts with God on the behalf of the church. And the only way whereby he doth this, in the discharge of his priestly office, is expressed here in the text, "He liveth for ever to make intercession for them." Now this expression containing the whole of what the Lord Christ, as the high priest of the church, doth now with God for them, and whereon the certainty of our salvation doth depend, it must with some diligence be inquired into.

Last edited:
If your question is whether or not Hebrews and Romans can be boiled down to say: "These are their respective emphases", then I'm not comfortable with that. I think what you stated is true but not exhaustive and that Romans and Hebrews overarching emphases may be different.

I agree that the overarching theme in each book does not consist of merely that. I am simply referring what their respective emphasis is on Christ's work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back