Roomba

Status
Not open for further replies.

ubermadchen

Puritanboard <strong>Outlaw</strong>
Does anyone have one? Do you like it? I'm looking at one on Overstock and I'm debating whether or not to get one. It's only been about a year since I've bought my vacuum and it's already losing suction and making a burning smell every time I use it. I've cleaned it out every time I've run the thing and found pet hair and dust all up in its crevices. I really hate it and it's hard to maneuver around in my small place. I'd like to get a roomba but I'm not sure I could justify to myself the expense. Even though it's not much more expensive than the vacuum I bought a year ago, I feel lazy having a robot do something I could very well do on my own. Although, my dog sheds so much each day, it's so hard to keep up with the vacuuming, it would be nice to have a little help. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I doubt the Roomba's going to do much with the dog hair. You'd have to do so much work emptying it, you'll wonder why you ever thought it would make you lazy. :)

And, from what I've heard, you have to clean up everything on the floor first(buttons, coins, miscellaneous detritus that accumulates from having shildren around the house, etc.) If you have kids, it's probably not worth it.

I know some will disagree with me, but I check Consumer Reports for their reviews. If you don't have a subscription, the library usually carries current and back issues. The index in the back of every issue will list major reviews by monthly issues.

if I could get one I would but I'm really holding out for Roomba cousin Scuba (I think that's the name) you know the one that mops the floor. I don't know if that helps but.....that's just my two cents

and it's already losing suction

You need to buy one of those Dysons made by the Brit who doesn't lose suction. Oh, wait, it's the vacuum that doesn't lose suction. They're pricey though. I know people who have them and say they do a great job.

Not sure of all your needs, but if I were making the purchase, first do on-line research, price shop. This one looks a good buy:

Oreck Commercial XL 2000 Vacuum - Yahoo! Shopping

As you do-online research, Consumer Reports is one useful source. You can now use the on-line version for $5.95 for one month- worth it for major purchases. (Best stewardship is later you can write them a letter about their contradictory and harmful stances on economic and political views).

Last edited:
I was having this conversation with my mom and we both agreed that based on my schedule, it doesn't matter if I have the best vacuum in the world (dyson ball) if I still can't keep up with the amount of hair my dog daily sheds. I only have time to vacuum twice a week unfortunately and that's how often I have time to groom my dog as well. I think I'm leaning towards getting the roomba but I'm hoping it can handle the daily hair. I'm still looking at reviews for that type of performance. The particular roomba I'm thinking about buying is a refurbished one on Overstock; it's $130 cheaper than a new model. Dumping the bin isn't that bad of chore to do everyday and really the only one in my house that doesn't pick up her toys is my dog. She normally doesn't even take them out when I'm gone. She just lays about on the couch and sheds more hair.

If you haven't already, you might consider investing in a good grooming brush or two. A good undercoat brush tends to make shedding less of a problem for most dogs (or rather, less of a problem for dog owners).

I already have a furminator. It works really well! I groom about enough hair to coat another dog. But, I only have time to groom Lucy about twice a week. It gets really bad in the summer and even when I would do it almost every day, I still couldn't keep up. She is a real shedding and licking machine.

3202686510_cc47390520.jpg

The accused (after she got a hold of a blue pen of mine last year).

Keep in mind that you'll have to replace the battery of the Roomba after a year or two, so it has an ongoing expense.

I ordered the Roomba 560 last night. It has received some pretty good reviews on picking up pet hair. I'm really excited. :D Thanks for your help everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back