Root of superstition and will-worship: conferring with flesh and blood: Carnal Consultations

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
Sermon CXXI. Carnal Consultation unfolded; or, the Great Evil of being actuated, by carnal Principles, in the Matters of God, evinced.
Gal. 1:16. Immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood.

When I considered the great spring of all the motions and actions of the most of people at this day; and what seems to be the grand counsellors, with whom they generally confer, I thought it was evident, from universal practice, that flesh and blood are the great principle that influence the deportment and behaviour of the generation: And when I considered, that not only the wicked world, but even the most eminent professors of religion, and the truly godly seem to discover, by their walk at this day, and their sinful conformity at this day with the world, and compliance with the course of the times, their being led by motives from flesh and blood: I say, when I considered these things, I thought the contrary practice and example of the great apostle would, at least, be suitable for discovering the great evil of living under the conduct and influence of such carnal-principles: Immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood....

IV. We come now to the Application of the subject....

3. Hence see the root of superstition and will-worship; it flows from conferring with flesh and blood; which hating the spirituality of worship, is most taken up with carnal ordinances and human inventions, and uninstituted ceremonies: In vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men [Matt. 15:9; Mark 7:7]. It is too remarkable, that the more carnal that the generation is growing, the more is abjured ceremonies creeping in among us, and the less testifying against the same; though yet it be A burden, which neither we nor our fathers were able to bear, as the Apostle says [in] Acts 15:10. Why tempt ye God to put a yoke? The Apostle there speaks of a yoke of ceremonies, once enjoined of God himself, that now being abolished, it was a tempting of God; much more is the yoke of ceremonies that never were enjoined. But while we consult with flesh and blood, we tamely submit to the yoke of carnal ordinances, as they are called, Heb. 11:10; and while the spirituality of worship is neglected and detested, and the internal glory of ordinances is out of sight.

From Ralph Erskine:

4. See what is the spring of all corruption in the doctrine, worship, discipline and government of the house of God: it will be found that consulting with flesh and blood, in the matters of religion, is at the bottom thereof.

(1.) Whence is it that the doctrines of the gospel have been so much corrupted....

(2.) Whence is it that the worship which God hath appointed in his house, is so much abused: What is the rise of all that detestable neutrality in the worship of God, and weariness and lukewarmness in the duties thereof? Why, it is just mens conferring with flesh and blood. Spiritual worship, and a carnal heart, cannot comport, suit, or agree together: That which is, born of the flesh is flesh [John 3:6]. And flesh and blood cannot endure spiritual work and worship. Hence men draw near to God with the mouth, while the heart is removed far from him [cf. Matt. 15:8]. Hence men are careless what way they worship, or what way others worship God; whether it be an idolatrous, superstitious, or instituted way, like Gallio, they care for none of those things. Hence Sabbaths and sermons, are a weariness; praying and praising, are a burden: flesh and blood cannot endure these things, “Take a carnal man,” says one, “tie him to a post, and you may kill him with praying and preaching.”

Ralph Erskine, Sermon CXXI. Carnal Consultation unfolded; or, the Great Evil of being actuated, by carnal Principles, in the Matters of God, evinced. Practical Works, 2 vols. folio (Glasgow: Robert Urie, 1754, 1755), 2.441–452.

Another version online, https://books.google.com/books?id=dn4uAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA180#v=onepage&q&f=false

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back