RPC of Scotland vs. FPC of Scotland vs. FCC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, that is correct; people would have to meet with them privately (often in my congregation, this has been done on the Saturday before the Lord's Supper). In our somewhat disorderly state of things (i.e., few of our congregations in the States have a full set of elders on the ground), sometimes an interview by the minister or whatever elders are present will also do. From what people have told me about their interviews in the past, the level of examination will depend on your background. If you are a communicant member in the Presbyterian Reformed Church, the interview will likely be quick and to the point. Coming from other churches may require more questions.

When I visited the Philly RPCNA, the Session examined me briefly also. I don't remember all the questions they asked me, but one of the ones that stood out was, "Why do you want to partake of the Lord's Supper here?"

I hesitate to speak about what requirements the Session makes, since I do not know them, and Alexander's distinctions are things I am not sure about concerning what the FCC does (I'll ask my pastor when I return to NC; or give our Practice a look over at some point). Being a member in good standing at a sound church is definitely one of the requirements though.

That question about why you wanted to is a really good one. One should have good reason to take communion in a congregation other than one's own. In our denomination we have the communion seasons and attending other seasons throughout the denomination is an excellent way to foster fellowship with those in the wider church with whom, after all, one is in ecclesiastical fellowship. Our ministers also travel around preaching at the services of other congregation's seasons allowing the wider church to benefit from the ministry of all her ministers. This practice also, I think, helps maintain uniformity of doctrine and practice throughout the denomination.

Taking communion in a separate denomination doesn't make sense to me. I'm not in ecclesiastical fellowship with the people there, in fact there are ecclesiastical barriers between us.

In Scotland is there anything that functions like NAPARC here, that is, fraternal relations among the various denominations?

There's no official organisation like that no. There are fraternal fellowships of ministers across certain denominational lines in some localities and there will be formal ecumenical relations between certain denominations but no one organisation which functions like naparc.

That question about why you wanted to is a really good one. One should have good reason to take communion in a congregation other than one's own. In our denomination we have the communion seasons and attending other seasons throughout the denomination is an excellent way to foster fellowship with those in the wider church with whom, after all, one is in ecclesiastical fellowship. Our ministers also travel around preaching at the services of other congregation's seasons allowing the wider church to benefit from the ministry of all her ministers. This practice also, I think, helps maintain uniformity of doctrine and practice throughout the denomination.

Taking communion in a separate denomination doesn't make sense to me. I'm not in ecclesiastical fellowship with the people there, in fact there are ecclesiastical barriers between us.
If you were traveling, and the church you attended while out of town was taking communion, would you just not participate?

The Free Church of Scotland here in Scotland? Just too many denominations here to keep track of. It was also late and i was tired. Sorry for the confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back