RPW is subset of Sola Scriptura

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwink

Puritan Board Sophomore
I've heard people make the case that the RPW is not only derived from such things as the 2nd commandment, but even from the principle of sola scriptura -- that Scripture is the only rule of faith and life, a completely sufficient rule to tell us how to glorify and enjoy God. I've read some on the subject, but I could use some more explanation and resources on the topic. (I think I may even need help understanding sola scriptura more deeply.) Thanks!

I would agree with this statement completely. The question is about the application of this principle. For instance, as I just said on my blog, I view good hymns as moving in the same orbit of "good and necessary consequence" as the confessions of faith do. Good hymns are therefore Scriptural. Others, such as EP'ers and ES'ers, would disagree with that. But I do agree that it is part of Sola Scriptura.

I once would have agreed but further consideration led me to reject the concept. Scripture is a rule in two distinct ways -- normatively and regulatively. See WCF 20.2. Worship must be "instituted" in Scripture itself, WCF 21.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back