RTS Orlando

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogfreid

Puritan Board Freshman
Hi, I'm new to this board.

Are there any RTS Orlando seminarians here? If so, how do you like it there?

Even if you're not a student there but wish to share an assessment of the school, please do. I'm looking to go there at the end of the year.

Thanks.

It is a mixed bag. On the one hand, you've got John Muether and Charles Hill, both as solid as they come. On the other hand, you've got Waltke, Frame, and Kidd, who are anything but confessionally Reformed. Nicole is good, but emeritus, as is Kistemaker. Futato is a lot like Meredith Kline (taught with Kline at WSC for a while), with Kline's good points and not-so-good points. Overall, as a seminary, I cannot recommend it. RTS Jackson is much much more solid, as is Charlotte.

It is a mixed bag. On the one hand, you've got John Muether and Charles Hill, both as solid as they come. On the other hand, you've got Waltke, Frame, and Kidd, who are anything but confessionally Reformed. Nicole is good, but emeritus, as is Kistemaker. Futato is a lot like Meredith Kline (taught with Kline at WSC for a while), with Kline's good points and not-so-good points. Overall, as a seminary, I cannot recommend it. RTS Jackson is much much more solid, as is Charlotte.

You cannot recommend Frame as a professor? Is it because of his views on the RPW?

You cannot recommend Frame as a professor? Is it because of his views on the RPW?

It is because of many, many things. The RPW is one, his views on the confessions are another, his allowance of FV theology and NPP theology is another (he is probably not one himself, but he doesn't think that Shepherd is a problem), his multi-perspectivalism leaves much to be desired.

Of the RTS campuses, Charlotte is far and away the most BIbilically-oriented, well-rounded in terms of faculty, and attractively located.

Jackson has a solid foundation, but needs to attract more full-time faculty and MDiv students, In my humble opinion, to remain viable.

Of the RTS campuses, Charlotte is far and away the most BIbilically-oriented, well-rounded in terms of faculty, and attractively located.

Jackson has a solid foundation, but needs to attract more full-time faculty and MDiv students, In my humble opinion, to remain viable.

The new President at the Charlotte campus is a very godly man. He is confessionally solid and will do a great job in keeping that school as a Reformed seminary. I would highly recommend the Charlotte campus, but I agree with Lane about the Orlando campus. Sproul, Sr. was very concerned about its direction before he stopped teaching there a number of years ago.

I am graduating from RTS Jackson in a week :D

I have liked RTS Jackson and especially the Bible, History, and Theology departments.

They have actually just hired at least one if not two professors (full-time) [Apologetics/Philosophy and Old Testament].

I would recommend Charlotte or Jackson. I agree with what others have said about Orlando above.

For expenditures, if you have some money go to Charlotte (living costs are really expensive) if you are not familiar with money then I'd suggest going to Jackson (living costs are less than most places and it is a good cultural experience).

Barnes is a dead man

Now that Barnes is gone, not worth attending any more.:graduate:

Barnes, just wait till I get you on the floor of presbytery.:gpl:

You might want to acquaint yourself with all the kings of Judah, and Israel, and Assyria, and their wives, and how long they reigned, and what the years were.

Oh, yeah, and I would read all of Owen too. :flamingscot:

Thanks for the replies.

But does it help if I clarify that I'm not too interested in whether or not a professor is confessionally Reformed or not?

Now that Barnes is gone, not worth attending any more.:graduate:

Barnes, just wait till I get you on the floor of presbytery.:gpl:

You might want to acquaint yourself with all the kings of Judah, and Israel, and Assyria, and their wives, and how long they reigned, and what the years were.

Oh, yeah, and I would read all of Owen too. :flamingscot:

HA, I don't think I have to worry about your questions, you haven't been showing up lately!!!:gpl:

I would request that you not ask me any questions...PLEASE!!!

Trashing Andrew and Confessional Profs.

I would request that you not ask me any questions...PLEASE!!!

Keep digging your grave, son!

Here's my vote :down:

And, to the person who is not concerned about the confessionalism of profs: Trust me, you will regret it later, if you aren't aware and concerned about it now.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

But does it help if I clarify that I'm not too interested in whether or not a professor is confessionally Reformed or not?

:eek: You aren't? You should be concerned. People who are not confessionally Reformed will lead people away from the Reformed faith, not closer to it.

You aren't? You should be concerned. People who are not confessionally Reformed will lead people away from the Reformed faith, not closer to it.

:ditto:

Please explain your position? Why aren't you concerned?

Andrew, great question! I should have stated this from the beginning.

My goal is to be as equipped as possible to to do any of the following in the future with excellence: 1) Pastor, 2) Teach, 3) Write (in no order). Maybe it's just one of these, maybe two, maybe all three.

Apropos #1, since I haven't as of yet discovered which denomination I am "in the tank for," I don't have a preference as to whether or not my professors are from this group or that group, or this confession or that confession or no confession. I would want them to be Calvinistic, but my primary concern is that they'd teach their subject matter really well.

Apropos #3, I'm wondering what an M.Div from RTS Orlando can do to prepare me in this regard. I understand that no seminary will be able to create talent where there are no intimations of talent to begin with, but compared to other seminaries, how effective would an M.Div from RTS Orlando be in preparing me for a career of theological writing?

Feel free to recommend other seminaries.

Confession Geeks and Anti-Confession Worldlings

Berny,

I think what you would find is that the less confessional a prof is, the points at which he takes issue with the confession, is precisely its Calvinism, not whether taking the trash out on Sunday is a violation of the Fourth Commandment.

Trust me, as one who's been there, you want conservative guys, no matter what denom you end up in. The war in the seminaries is between the guys that reverence the past, and have learned from it (but are not bound by it), versus the guys who want to shuttle it completely. There really doesn't seem to be much middle ground.

And, Barnes, no matter how confessional you are, you are still toast when you come up before MVP. You've ticked off the wrong preacher!:eek:

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

:eek: You aren't? You should be concerned. People who are not confessionally Reformed will lead people away from the Reformed faith, not closer to it.

My own background is that I've become a Calvinist apart from the confessions and apart from confessionally-guided Reformed. While they mean a lot to me in that I agree with most everything they have to say much more than I agree with other confessions and creedal statements, I'm not too interested in any "one" way of Calvinistic adaptation for ministry. At least not at this point.

I actually identify with someone like Dr. Frame much more than I do with someone who is more closely attached to the confessional identity.

It is because of many, many things. The RPW is one, his views on the confessions are another, his allowance of FV theology and NPP theology is another (he is probably not one himself, but he doesn't think that Shepherd is a problem), his multi-perspectivalism leaves much to be desired.

In one of the endnotes in Salvation Belongs to the Lord (which is an excellent book on the whole), Dr. Frame says that Norman Shepherd's views on justification are within the Reformed tradition - even though he claims to disagree with them.

Personally, these are the seminaries I recommend: Westminster California, New Geneva, MARS, Westminster Dallas, RTS Jackson and Charlotte, Greenville, and maybe Westminster East, if the biblical studies departments achieve greater confessionalism.

Personally, these are the seminaries I recommend: Westminster California, New Geneva, MARS, Westminster Dallas, RTS Jackson and Charlotte, Greenville, and maybe Westminster East, if the biblical studies departments achieve greater confessionalism.

A friend of mine - who is now a Baptist Pastor in Co. Donegal - did a Masters at Westminster East. He told me that many in the Biblical departments were sympathetic to the NPP.

Then Orlando's probably the place for you.

Nobody there knows what they believe. There is no unifying identity.

That is why they are out flying blind on the gender egalitarianism front, too.

You might want to consider a little humility before the confessions. They are not SCriptures, but they do show how the Holy SPirit has shaped the mind of the church.

THe church is not a bunch of freewheeling individuals left to their own private interpretations of Scripture. It is a community of faith working out its beliefs with fear and trembling coram deo.

Make mistakes? Sure it has.

But, what you have said is like saying "Well, I like the Nicene Creed, I guess. I find myself closer to it than other creeds. But I really don't see why it's necessary."

Well, it's necessary because somebody attacked Jesus. And the only way to defend his honor and name is by clearly stating where the church stands. Creeds did not come out nowhere. They would not be necessary if it weren't for heresy.

So, to denigrate them is to despise how the Holy Spirit works in the churches, and really to despise the church as the community of faith. This is the whole problem with unaccountable ecclesiastical scholars, too. They don't have to answer to the pew for their gospel-obscuring oddities. But, their sycophantic followers go out and wreck churches with them.

Be very wary of this. Sorry if this comes across as harsh.

Ken,

Thanks for taking the time to reply! Your insight is appreciated.

I agree that it is important to sit under the teaching of conservative teachers as opposed to more liberal ones. I wouldn't be interested in learning from somebody who wants to "shuttle the past completely." Instead, I'd love to train under men who learn from the past but are not bound by it, as you put it. My current pastor is a great example of this.

A friend of mine - who is now a Baptist Pastor in Co. Donegal - did a Masters at Westminster East. He told me that many in the Biblical departments were sympathetic to the NPP.

Who is your friend? I knew an Irishman at seminary. It might be the same guy. Definitely, some of them at WTS are sympathetic. However, there is question as to whether or not they will stay.

Who is your friend? I knew an Irishman at seminary. It might be the same guy. Definitely, some of them at WTS are sympathetic. However, there is question as to whether or not they will stay.

Barry Reid. He is from Larne.

And, Barnes, no matter how confessional you are, you are still toast when you come up before MVP. You've ticked off the wrong preacher!:eek:

Po Andwoo,

He ain godda chance.

Andrew,
Just treck yorn hiney on up here to the Ohio Presbyters and plead your case.

Ken, you wrote:
"But, what you have said is like saying 'Well, I like the Nicene Creed, I guess. I find myself closer to it than other creeds. But I really don't see why it's necessary.'"

But I haven't said anything like this.

I actually consider the Reformed confessions the purest expressions of the Christian faith around. Hopefully you don't still think that I've "denigrated" them.

Denigrating Confessions

Ken, you wrote:
"But, what you have said is like saying 'Well, I like the Nicene Creed, I guess. I find myself closer to it than other creeds. But I really don't see why it's necessary.'"

But I haven't said anything like this.

I actually consider the Reformed confessions the purest expressions of the Christian faith around. Hopefully you don't still think that I've "denigrated" them.

Berny,

Sorry if the response was heated.

Just take it from those of us who have been through seminaries (and I am not a hidebound type, I don't think). The problem with seminaries is that they are academic in the bad sense --that is, too many profs think the seminary exists for the sake of the academy.

They forget that the seminary serves the church, and primarily the pulpit.

Thus, confessional fidelity is a sine qua non, is it not? Again, the confessions aren't Scripture --the WCF could probably be improved upon at certain points (more for clarity and consistency than anything else). The point is, it's not up to individuals to alter confessions. It is not up to seminary profs, no matter how learned they are. It is up to presbyters meeting, and struggling, and debating, and, most of all, praying.

The reason we have so much discord in the PCA currently is, at least in part, because we have everyone just doing what is right in his own eyes, and no-one reverencing the communion of the saints as the primary key for finding out the mind of Christ in the Scriptures.

We need the church!

Here endeth the sermon :worms:

Andrew, if you even hint at going to another presbytery to get ordained, I will hunt you down like a dog. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back