Runners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megan Mozart

Puritan Board Junior
Growing up, I didn't do sports (unless you count soccer kindergarten through 2nd grade). So I have never been in shape. A few years ago I started running in order to get in shape and lose weight. It is only until recent months that I have actually made it a consistent habit. I really enjoy it. Please don't ask me my pace though.... I am terribly slow. :eek:

Any runners on the PB? Do you have any races coming up?

Have you ever ran a marathon? (I saw The Spirit of the Marathon on Hulu and it inspired me to do that someday)

My 2nd race is coming up on Thanksgiving, a 10k. I'm following a little training schedule. Today I ran 4.5 miles which is my LDR so far. I'm pooped.

Any tips for races, and for running in cold weather?

I'm in the Army. They make me run. I only run because I have to do so. Talk to Rich... there's a man who enjoys running.

Right before I turned 40, I started running. At that point, the longest I had ever ran was 1/4 mile (once around the track in high school gym class). I started out in such bad shape I would jog 1/10 mile and walk 1/10 mile, repeating for 2 miles. My first "long" run of 1 1/2 mile without stopping made me feel like I had conquered the world.

It took a while, but several months and a few short races I completed a Half-Marathon, with a pretty decent time. Have kept it up, and the results are great. Feel much better.

Love running in cold weather best. Have came in several times with frost covering my back. Best advice is to get some warm but light clothing and avoid cottton. Good stuff here is worth paying a little extra for.

I'll be running my first marathon in December (here in California). I have run since I was a kid but this year decided to take it up a notch and do a marathon. My ultimate goal is to do a full Ironman.

I ran outside this morning and I was cold for the first couple of miles! However, cold here is not all that cold. It was maybe in the fifties. I run in shorts and a t-shirt all year round.

One of the best things I've done for my training is to buy a GPS running watch like this: Amazon.com: Garmin Forerunner 405 Wireless GPS-Enabled Sports Watch with Heart Rate Monitor: Electronics

I used to enjoy running when I was younger and then I joined the track team in high school. I agree that it is not as enjoyable when you are forced to do so. I haven't done any races since I moved to Kansas. Even up until a few years ago I used to run in a charity race in my hometown. I don't even know if I could run 2 miles now. A desk job will do that to you.

I've run quite a few 10k races, but now I walk about 5k.

Be sure you invest in a quick warm up time to stretch foot and leg muscles before running so you can avoid common muscle strains and pulls.

I used to take a composite of 12 "skiers" stretches that covered about 95% of all the muscles in the body in a 5 minute pre-run warm up. That pays big dividends over time in terms of fewer muscle, knee pulls.

Been running for 25 years straight this Thanksgiving. I've run in five marathons. I don't race much and have never been really fast compared to good runners. Never was much of a strategist when it came to running hard. As for running in the cold, just do it. It takes some experience over time figuring out how much you need to wear but I typically didn't wear much more than a nylon running suit, hat, and gloves even in -30 degree weather when I was in college. Best way to accustom yourself is to get out every day and you'll begin to figure out how much clothing you need given the conditions. Use light layers. I never need anything more than a long sleeve shirt, shorts, a hat, and gloves unless it drops below 30 degrees but every body is different.

My question for marathon runners is, have you ever read the story of the man who ran the first marathon? He died right after he did it. I want to know the story of the people who took his idea and decided to try it themselves. And why people to this day persist in running distances that have been proven to kill a man. :scratch:

;)

I chase my wife's dog occasionally.

I ran a lot my first year of college because I was in NROTC. I would usually run 2-3 miles in the morning with the unit at least 3 days a week and then supplement with 1-3 mile runs 2-3 times extra on my own. I dropped 20 pounds in a month and got ripped. It was great.

To increase our speed, we would do sprinting exercises once every 3-4 weeks. They were horrible and someone, usually me, threw up.

To increase strength, we ran stairs and praking garage ramps-for an hour. Again, horrible.

The thing that was the least pain was just distance runs. Usually I'd find someone I was as fast as or a little swloer than and beat them.

I began the year as the second or third slowest guy there. I finished the 2nd fastest. (Then I quit and got fat. Then I got married and got fatter. Then I have a baby and got fatter.)

My question for marathon runners is, have you ever read the story of the man who ran the first marathon? He died right after he did it. I want to know the story of the people who took his idea and decided to try it themselves. And why people to this day persist in running distances that have been proven to kill a man. :scratch:

;)

Actually Pheidippides ran more than a marathon. He ran more than a double marathon. He ran about 150 miles in the first two days of the battle and then ran about 25 (or 26.2) to announce the victory one either the second or third day depending upon which history source is correct.

I've run a marathon or two when I was younger and would love to get into the condition to run another or two. A pretty major injury to both ankles has slowed that WAY down.

I am over 200lbs, but ran a marathon without any marathon prep (was in the army at the time and just went through Jump School) when I was younger with an okay time. The secret for me was having good audiobooks to make me forget my running while I was running, plus nice scenery. It's a mental thing for me, run to relax.

I am over 200lbs, but ran a marathon without any marathon prep (was in the army at the time and just went through Jump School) when I was younger with an okay time. The secret for me was having good audiobooks to make me forget my running while I was running, plus nice scenery. It's a mental thing for me, run to relax.

That would be nice but I think in organized races they don't let you listen to ipods and such while you're running. It's in the rules. At least that's from what I've been able to gather...

That would be nice but I think in organized races they don't let you listen to ipods and such while you're running. It's in the rules. At least that's from what I've been able to gather...

Some do, some don't.

Shucks, I'd drop out after 500 yards then if I couldn't "chill" while I ran.

Here's a tip. Start saving for knee replacement surgery now. Running is hard on the body, particularly the knees. Biking isn't nearly as bad, and swimming is much less traumatic.

I run a couple of times a week and enjoy running in the snow and cold. I did a quick 3 miles a couple of years ago when it was -15 degrees. It didn't hurt until the next day but I couldn't take deep breaths. I won't go out if it's -5 or lower now. :duh:

Here's a tip. Start saving for knee replacement surgery now. Running is hard on the body, particularly the knees. Biking isn't nearly as bad, and swimming is much less traumatic.

I'm going to prevent that as much as I can by eating a pristine non-toxic diet.... we'll see how that goes :p

Just run on soft ground when you can (i.e. AVOID CONCRETE) and invest in good footwear. And not just something expensive. Find a running shop if you can and get some professional help in terms of shoes. This will be very important if you decide to run for years to come.

In regards to running in the cold weather--I don't know. I hate cold weather. I would rather run when it is 100+ than when it is 40 degrees. So as someone else said, just do it. If you can find any way to not be miserable, I'm very happy for you. :lol:

In regards to running in the cold weather--I don't know. I hate cold weather. I would rather run when it is 100+ than when it is 40 degrees. So as someone else said, just do it. If you can find any way to not be miserable, I'm very happy for you. :lol:

You think 40 degrees is cold?!? Oh that's right, you're in California. Lately I've been running outside in temperatures between 35 and 60. I like high 30's the best because the contrast of having a toasty warm body in a very cool environment with cool wind just feels awesome.

-----Added 10/30/2009 at 09:44:05 EST-----

I'm worrying about when it gets to be in the single digits... though by the time winter strikes I will probably just give up running outside and go to the Y. :lol:

I started running cross country when I was about 14 years old.

I ran mostly 5K races until I was about 30 years old. I loved to run. Would do it 5-6 days a week.

When I was almost 30, I decided to run a 1/2 marathon. I knew all the rules about training but I ignored most of them because I was trying to get ready to quickly for the run. I ended up injuring both of my feet badly and having to have surgery. I will probably never be able to run long distances the rest of my life. I now bike to stay fit.

I only say this as a warning. When you train, especially if you have not run much in your life, you must start out slowly. Get a good book on running and stick to the training schedule. One of the main rules is not to increase your mileage more than 10% each week.

Sports Injury Prevention Using the 10 Percent Rule

This rule can seem restraining but you must stick to it. Most novice runners run too far too fast and this will quickly lead to all kinds of injuries. If your body hurts, do not run that day. Listen to your body.

Also, change your shoes often - about every 300 to 500 miles. Don't skimp on shoes. Go to a good sports store to get fit for them.

Another training method that really works is deep water running.

Cardiovascular Conditioning: Alternatives to Swim, Bike, Run (Part 1:Deep-Water Running) :: RunCoach :: Running Training Plans | Running Coaching

The great thing about water running is you maintain your cardiovascular fitness with zero impact on your body. If I were training for a marathon, I would supplement land running with water running to take some stress off my body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back