Ryle's "Expository Thoughts" - heads up for pastors!

Status
Not open for further replies.

reaganmarsh

Puritan Board Senior
Fellow pastors,

A friend has just advised that the Banner of Truth is offering Ryle's 7-volume set of "Expository Thoughts on the Gospels" for $25 + free shipping, provided that you're a full-time minister. I know that he's not properly a Puritan, but I have found Ryle to be a great blessing, both in my life and my preaching.

Here's the link. Enjoy. https://www.banneroftruth.org/statics/JCRyle_Ministers.php

And in case that link isn't working, try this one and simply click on the "special offer" link. Banner of Truth Book Detail

Grace to you all.

Ryle is fantastic. His book on Holiness is one of the best on the topic.

I'll have to look into this one!

Ryle is one of my favorites. I love his Expository Thoughts. I have the Baker edition. He has also done some great work documenting the lives of the English Reformers.

I have "Expository Thoughts" in e-Sword and on my Puritan Hard Drive, but I prefer hard copies of books when possible! You just never know when something electronic will die a horrible death... J.C. Ryle has been one of the best discoveries of my life; God has really used him in my life. Really appreciate his work.

Note too that this is the brand new clothbound (hardcover) edition, not the paperbacks they've been selling for years. The "non pastor" price for these ($65 USD) is the same as what they were charging for the 7 vol. paperback set. I would expect this to be much better quality than the Baker 4 vol. hardcover set with regard to print and construction. In my experience Banner produces very nice clothbound editions.

Some time last year I had seen that this new edition was in the works. There is probably a thread or two about it here. I have been wanting the full set but have been holding off for this one, as the Baker set (when available) is generally poor quality and in my opinion the paperbacks were a little overpriced.

Late last month I emailed the US office of BoT and was told that they hoped it would be available soon but that they had no definite information. Judging from what I've seen from some other publishers with regard to delays, etc. I figured it would be quite some time before it would be available. However, I was delighted to see a tweet from them today announcing it was now available. (Evidently Banner of Truth underpromises and overdelivers, at least in this case!) Apparently it has just been released. I don't see that any other distributors have it yet e.g. RHB, CVBBS, WTS, etc. And due to the low pricing, I would think that the paperbacks that some of those sellers have in stock may end up being sold at a substantial discount since the Banner hardcover set is basically the same price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back