Sabbath and Monday AM Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Die Hards

Man! You people are hard core on this Sabbath issue...

Legalism is right! Has anyone thought about Hebrews 4 where the writer talks about "rest," moving from the external to the internal and from the general to the specific? What does it mean to "cease from your own works as God did from His?" I don't think means we should struggle about whether or not to wash the car on Sunday (or Saturday) or whether or not to eat out at 12:01 a.m. on Sunday morning...

Do we have any New Covenant folks on this board who get it???

And if you TiVo Sunday sports and watch them on Monday, it's still a sin...retroactively speaking!

Man! You people are hard core on this Sabbath issue...

Legalism is right! Has anyone thought about Hebrews 4 where the writer talks about "rest," moving from the external to the internal and from the general to the specific? What does it mean to "cease from your own works as God did from His?" I don't think means we should struggle about whether or not to wash the car on Sunday (or Saturday) or whether or not to eat out at 12:01 a.m. on Sunday morning...

Do we have any New Covenant folks on this board who get it???

And if you TiVo Sunday sports and watch them on Monday, it's still a sin...retroactively speaking!

For those who need a refresher on the differecne between legalism and obedience, go here:

http://www.apuritansmind.com/Tracts and Writings/LegalismAndObedience.htm

Legalists try and be "saved" as a result of their works. Christians are obedient to the commands of Christ as a result of keeping His word.

There is a great differecne.

Luke 6:46 "Why do you call me 'Lord, Lord,' and not do what I tell you?

What did he tell you?

Exodus 20:8
"Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.

Matthew 24:20 Pray that your flight may not be in winter or on a Sabbath.

(Which was given as an exortation about obedience 40 years after Christ's ascension. I guess Jesus is just one of those Legalists eh?)

For those who need a refresher on the law, the Lord's Day and the Sabbath, and to understand the passage in Hebrews 4 exegetically and practically -

http://www.apuritansmind.com/TheLordsDay/MatthewMcMahonSabbath.htm

Don't think Dave is used to the board yet

I gain a lot by seeing how people live out there faith here, Dave. We knock many issues around as you'll see. I still have to read a lot of posts before I can add anything of worth. Not that you shouldn't, but enjoy how the issues are discussed. The motto here is: Iron sharpens iron.

The Sabbath is important to us as we either practice a special day or honor Christ as our Sabbath without required special observance. We want to please the Lord and experience resultant blessings. Figuring these things out is like the proverb says, "It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, But the glory of kings is to search out a matter."

Here's a good sermon by Pastor Joe Morecraft III on this particular subject that I think is pretty good. You might listen to it and see if it challenges your thoughts on the matter. Godspeed.

:up:

I love that one also. I recommend his book: "How God Wants Us to Worship Him"

Yeah...I'm new...

Thanks, Bryan, for welcoming me to this board with open arms...lol...

I AM new, so I ask for grace and patience. You're right. Maybe I should just hang back and "watch" the discussions for a while, and then jump in. But I've never been a sidelines kind of guy.

To be brutally honest...and this is cracking my chest open and bearing my soul...I have this need to be seen and heard, to feel special. My weakness and temptation is to use "shock value" statements/words to get noticed. It's really bad and I confess that Jesus is dealing with me on this issue...just want to put that out there.

Anyway, Josh had a good question. What is my definition of "legalism?" I agree with your definition and how it relates to salvation. Maybe what I really mean is "moralism" and "pharisee-ism."

Does anyone (other than me) think that if Jesus were here again--in the flesh--that He would shock us by His behavior? If the Pharisees thought that He was often breaking the law, what would we think?

Also, I have lots of stuggles understanding how much of the Old Testament I'm supposed to follow as a New Testament believer. Jesus brought a new covenant and wrote His laws in my mind and on my heart. That means that I find rest in Him in so many ways that are not purely physical, (as opposed to not eating out on Sunday or not watching sports.)

Do I hear an AMEN from the "Internal Sabbatarians???" :sing:

Godspeed to all who wish to please our Lord in observing the Lord's Day.

The question at hand is akin to the question of what time one should go to sleep at night. The answer is, not too late.

A student dormitory might rule LIGHTS OUT at 10:00pm sharp, which would be proper under a school master. But when we graduate we remember the rule as a guide and try to get in at a decent hour in order to get plenty of rest.

So it is with the covenants. Moses was our school master but now in Christ we observe the Sabbath not as with hard rules but guided by Word and Spirit. It's a beautiful thing when the Lord gives liberty of conscience, not to wiggle out of obeying, but to honor Him creatively with nuance, so that our gratitude is worked out individually as well as corporately.

Must I Keep The Old Testament "Guidelines?"

Thank you, Joshua, for your thoughtful reply. I believe that Jesus came to "do away with the O.T. Law" by fulfilling it. He kept it perfectly and told us that if we love God and others we will also keep ALL the Law and the prophets. Pretty nice of Him to boil it down like that if you ask me.

Because Christ is in me (and in the Father) and I am in Him, I also fulfill the Law, through faith in Him, completely.

So...what should I do about keeping the Sabbath holy? Well...maybe I should ask Jesus what He wants of me just as I ask Him to teach me how to love Him and others. Of course, He DID tell us the story about the Good Samaritan...but behaving like that is MUCH harder than simply taking a nap on Sundays. Okay...now I'm meddling...:wow:

In defense of naps on the Lord's Day

Ah, naps.

You don't know a friend till, after worshipping with them, they open their house, talk with you of God, feed you and then say, "There's an extra bed in the guest room if you'd like to rest a while before evening service." I suppose they could also wash my feet as a part of the GOOD WORK of the Lord's day but that was a different age.

My church is extraordinarily kind to each other. I mean, Amish/Mormon kind to each other. One big family kind-of-friendly. Our shared Sabbaths are (dare I say) sacred to us? I have never come across it in my 40 years! And naps are almost a shared ritual among us! Rest. As my pastor Jim Savastio, taught under Al Martin says, "Resting on the Sabbath is such a good idea, I'd make it up myself if it didn't already exist."

That and my being 40 lends itself to naps.

Of course, I'm having fun with you D but I did enjoy that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back