Sabbath and Muzzling the Ox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christusregnat

Puritan Board Professor
I have a question for confessional sabbaterians only:

If a church meets at a government school, and this requires that a janitor work on the Sabbath (the school requires this, not the church). I consider this a violation of the Sabbath; what do you think? It appears that the church is a knowledgeable accessory to the sin. Would you agree?

Second, is a pastor making 1/2 of his fellow pastors (say, in his same Prebytery) muzzling the ox, if that is all that a church can afford with the current tithe?

Third, which is the greater sin: making the janitor work on the Sabbath, or muzzling the ox (if you think a 1/2 wage of the fellow pastors is a muzzling)?

Thanks!

For clarity: Does the PCA set regional minimums for salary? I ask only because the ARP does, so this kind of disparity would be rare.

Since the school administrators have every right to expect a clean school at the start of the week, and since the church meets there on Sunday, it would seem that the work of the janitor becomes a work of necessity. Otherwise, if it is a sin for the janitor to work because the school requires the facility to be cleaned after use, then rather than pin the sin on the school admin., why not look to the church for signing the lease under that arrangement?

Does the school admin. require the janitor to be on the premises while you are meeting, or simply to come in some time afterwards to mop up? Either way, could the pastor invite the janitor to attend the service?, and have the congregation help him afterwards by doing some of the more basic cleanup.

As to salary, the Presbytery is supposed to review and approve the pastor's call, including his salary. They are in effect to look out for his interests. Either they signed off on this arrangement, or they didn't.

Since the school administrators have every right to expect a clean school at the start of the week, and since the church meets there on Sunday, it would seem that the work of the janitor becomes a work of necessity. Otherwise, if it is a sin for the janitor to work because the school requires the facility to be cleaned after use, then rather than pin the sin on the school admin., why not look to the church for signing the lease under that arrangement?

That is my question: is the church in sin by being accessory to this sin?

Does the school admin. require the janitor to be on the premises while you are meeting, or simply to come in some time afterwards to mop up?

The janitor (in this situation) has to be there the whole time; he lets the set-up crew in (people from the church), comes in after the church takes down, and then he puts away the chairs and mops up (things the church could do).

As to salary, the Presbytery is supposed to review and approve the pastor's call, including his salary. They are in effect to look out for his interests. Either they signed off on this arrangement, or they didn't.

That's an excellent question; not sure on how the Presbytery was involved, or was not. This is a rather... irregular(?) presbytery.

Cheers,

Adam

-----Added 12/23/2009 at 11:05:16 EST-----

For clarity: Does the PCA set regional minimums for salary? I ask only because the ARP does, so this kind of disparity would be rare.

I am not aware of a minimum salary in the PCA. Anyone else know?

If a church meets at a government school, and this requires that a janitor work on the Sabbath (the school requires this, not the church). I consider this a violation of the Sabbath; what do you think? It appears that the church is a knowledgeable accessory to the sin. Would you agree?
Yes, this would be a violation of the Sabbath for various reasons.
1. Government schools are not the only places that churches can meet.
2. There's no reason why the church shouldn't be expected to clean up after itself after their Sunday meeting.

And if the church knew that their meeting at the school would break the Sabbath then they would be responsible for finding another place to meet.

Second, is a pastor making 1/2 of his fellow pastors (say, in his same Prebytery) muzzling the ox, if that is all that a church can afford with the current tithe?
If the pastor accepted that wage then it's not muzzling the ox. A pastor can even give up his right to a salary if he so chooses to serve Christ's Body. Consider this further statement by Paul regarding muzzling the ox...

If others be partakers of this power over you, are not we rather? Nevertheless we have not used this power; but suffer all things, lest we should hinder the gospel of Christ. (1Co 9:12)

Third, which is the greater sin: making the janitor work on the Sabbath, or muzzling the ox (if you think a 1/2 wage of the fellow pastors is a muzzling)?
Breaking the Sabbath was punishable by death, and is now punishable by excommunication within the Church. To me that speaks volumes regarding the seriousness with which to treat it.

Yes, this would be a violation of the Sabbath for various reasons.
1. Government schools are not the only places that churches can meet.
2. There's no reason why the church shouldn't be expected to clean up after itself after their Sunday meeting.

And if the church knew that their meeting at the school would break the Sabbath then they would be responsible for finding another place to meet.

If the pastor accepted that wage then it's not muzzling the ox. A pastor can even give up his right to a salary if he so chooses to serve Christ's Body. Consider this further statement by Paul regarding muzzling the ox...

If others be partakers of this power over you, are not we rather? Nevertheless we have not used this power; but suffer all things, lest we should hinder the gospel of Christ. (1Co 9:12)

Breaking the Sabbath was punishable by death, and is now punishable by excommunication within the Church. To me that speaks volumes regarding the seriousness with which to treat it.

Thank you Dr. Bray! Very helpful comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back