Sabbath-breaking and travelling missionaries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, some pastors have taken me out to eat after the Sunday service. In those cases, I have considered that it would be rude to decline and tell them that I would rather not violate the Sabbath because I am their guest and they are taking the trouble to help me eat (a necessary thing) on a Sunday and, to a certain degree, one's guest must fit in with the expectations and rules of those he is visiting. If I were to say, "No, I don't want to eat lunch with you and, p.s., I think you are breaking the Sabbath by inviting this travelling missionary to eat lunch after service" this would seem rude and inadvisable.

I don't think it's rude to obey one's conscience. I've turned down requests to eat out after church before. This, of course, must be done charitably and with grace. Ultimately, we must obey God, rather than man. (Acts 5:29)

One time we had a man visiting our church all the way from Canada! He had driven his van all the way down to Austin for a homeschool conference. He ran a Christian printing/publishing company and went to promote his books. He shared with us how he would stop on his trip at various Confessional churches to visit. One thing that really stuck out about this kind man were his staunch convictions regarding the Lord's Day. He asked us if he could please use the church's refrigerator to store some perishable food items. He was traveling with milk and some other items because he used them to prepare his own meals on the Lord's Day so as not to eat out. I still have regrets to this day that I did not invite this kind man over to my house to eat lunch. :(

Andrew, I believe I met that young man just last Lord's Day where we worship while Grace is here at the feeding clinic. His next stop is Atlanta, so we plan to give him the information for a church just north of there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back