Sabbath question

Status
Not open for further replies.

AV1611

Puritan Board Senior
My parents' anniversary (a big one) will be celebrated on a saturday night 100 odd miles away and I would have to stay at a hotel. My problem is that I would be traveling home on the Sabbath. Thoughts? :think:

Exodus 16:29 "See, for the Lord hath given you the Sabbath, therefore he giveth you on the sixth day the bread of two days; abide ye every man in his place, let no man go out of his place on the seventh day."

Exodus 16:29 "See, for the Lord hath given you the Sabbath, therefore he giveth you on the sixth day the bread of two days; abide ye every man in his place, let no man go out of his place on the seventh day."

Hmm... Invalid it would seem here. We used to travel over an hour to church every Sunday. Churches also have youth groups on the Sabbath, which requires even more traveling around.:think:

We used to travel 125 miles one way to attend Lord's Day services.

If you cannot get back home in time to attend services there, I suggest you attend locally and then travel home, or that you attend enroute to home.

Mark 3:4
And he said to them, Is it lawful on the Sabbath to do good or to do harm, to save life or to kill? But they were silent.

Which one is this - doing good or doing harm ?

It is honouring to God to honour your parents, while not ideal you can read the Bible on the train, or have it on the car stereo.

Hypothetically we have to be on our guard against legalism as our sinful nature will tend to legalism rather than grace, just as it will also tend to antinonianism rather than grace.

I think that the key questions is how can you best honour God? If you decide on this basis this then you cannot be faulted for whatever cause of action you take. Whatever you do in true faith is not sin.

For whatever does not proceed from faith is sin
Romans 14:23 (ESV)

With only the few facts in front of me I would say that time with our parents is a wonderful gift from God, and that being a good son is pleasing to God who honours our family life.

At that time Jesus went through the grainfields on the Sabbath. His disciples were hungry, and they began to pluck heads of grain and to eat. 2 But when the Pharisees saw it, they said to him, "Look, your disciples are doing what is not lawful to do on the Sabbath." 3 He said to them, "Have you not read what David did when he was hungry, and those who were with him: 4 how he entered the house of God and ate the bread of the Presence, which it was not lawful for him to eat nor for those who were with him, but only for the priests? 5 Or have you not read in the Law how on the Sabbath the priests in the temple profane the Sabbath and are guiltless? 6 I tell you, something greater than the temple is here. 7 And if you had known what this means, 'I desire mercy, and not sacrifice,' you would not have condemned the guiltless. 8 For the Son of Man is lord of the Sabbath."
Matt 12:1-8 (ESV)

What about this (BECAUSE THIS IS MY CURRENT SITUATION):

On vacation, planned on coming home Saturday (today), plane is delayed, will only make it halfway to destination tonight (saturday night) and will fly home tomorrow morning (Sunday, Lord's Day). What do ye say about that?

What about this (BECAUSE THIS IS MY CURRENT SITUATION):

On vacation, planned on coming home Saturday (today), plane is delayed, will only make it halfway to destination tonight (saturday night) and will fly home tomorrow morning (Sunday, Lord's Day). What do ye say about that?

Clearly that is due to circumstances, providential I might add, beyond your control.

May the Lord give you grace, and journeying mercy. If you can find an evening service to attend, hopefully there will still be time for encouragement through the means of grace.

:pray2:

Yes, we are planning on attending our church in Jackson in the evening. We are delayed until 9pm now (sitting in the airport, thank you God for free internet at airport), I am hoping it doesn't get canceled.:cheers:

Hmm... Invalid it would seem here. We used to travel over an hour to church every Sunday. Churches also have youth groups on the Sabbath, which requires even more traveling around.:think:

I don't see anything in Exodus 16 about traveling to church or youth groups...

:p

I don't see anything in Exodus 16 about traveling to church or youth groups...

:p

:lol: I was referring to the last part of the verse: "abide ye, every man in his place." You have to leave the house on the Sabbath, unless you have a home church that meets at your house.

please, go...

My parents' anniversary (a big one) will be celebrated on a saturday night 100 odd miles away and I would have to stay at a hotel. My problem is that I would be traveling home on the Sabbath. Thoughts? :think:

For the sake of the Gospel of he risen Christ, go.

John

Do go, brother. Honour your father and your mother (in this way) that your days may be long in the land which the Lord has given you. If it was a job interview, forget it. But Mum and Dad? Stop to worship on the way home if driving. If on the train, it is indeed a Providential opportunity to witness to your seatmate while reading your bible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back