Sabbath Rest by Sinclair Ferguson

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
"Considering this, what difference did the coming of Jesus make to the Sabbath day? In Christ crucified and risen, we find eternal rest (Matt. 11:28-30), and we are restored to communion with God (Matt. 11:25-30). The lost treasures of the Sabbath are restored. We rest in Christ from our labor of self-sufficiency, and we have access to the Father (Eph. 2:18). As we meet with Him, He shows us Himself, His ways, His world, His purposes, His glory. And whatever was temporary about the Mosaic Sabbath must be left behind as the reality of the intimate communion of the Adamic Sabbath is again experienced in our worship of the risen Savior on the first day of the week&mdash the Lord’s Day.
But one may ask: “How does this impact my Sundays as a Christian?” This view of the Sabbath should help us regulate our weeks. Sunday is “Father’s Day,” and we have an appointment to meet Him. The child who asks “How short can the meeting be?” has a dysfunctional relationship problem—not an intellectual, theological problem—something is amiss in his fellowship with God."

It's wonderful to see this advertised on Ligonier's website. It was upsetting to first learn Dr. Sproul was not in favour of Sabbath observance.

It's wonderful to see this advertised on Ligonier's website. It was upsetting to first learn Dr. Sproul was not in favour of Sabbath observance.
It's actually from their Tabletalk, 2004. I haven't been a close Legionier follower so I don't know if Tabletalk has had material advocating RCSR's stance allowing significant Sabbath recreations, or if so, if also counters to it have appeared in their pages.

"The Sabbath should help us regulate our weeks." I have absolutely found this to be the case in running my home. The choices made on Monday or Tuesday make all the difference in our being able to set the Lord's Day apart. I've been wrestling lately with how to make the best use of this gift God has given us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back