Sacrifices during the Millennium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notthemama1984

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
In the current issue of Bibliotheca Sacra (volume 167 number 665) Jerry Hullinger wrote an article attempting to show that the sacrifices that take place during the millennial Temple are not memorial in nature, but rather have atonement properties. His main reason for saying this is by showing how although Israel was "redeemed and covenanted," unclean Israelites could not be in the Temple area (the place for the presence of God) until they had performed the proper sacrifices which cleansed them and made them worthy to approach God. During the Millennium the earth will be populated with saved believers who have received their resurrected bodies at the rapture, but also saved believers who were saved during the Tribulation and thus do not have their resurrected bodies. These unresurrected bodies will be unclean, impure, and unworthy to approach the presence of God (which will be centered in Jerusalem at this time). Thus the sacrifices will be for the unresurrected people so that they can be cleansed of their filth.

Now I always felt that the memorial theory of sacrifices was a slap in the face of Christ, but this atonement view goes way beyond that. This view is stating that Christ's atonement was not good enough. His atonement was enough salvificly, but somehow it only worked on their soul and not their body.

This also borders on a type of Gnosticism in that the body is bad and the spirit is good.

I really hope this view is unique to Mr. Hullinger and not widespread.

What are your thoughts on this concept?

Unfortunately, that is not the first time I have heard that view.

As to my thoughts? I have not read the article. If it is as clear as your synopsis above. . . Well, heresy often starts with the best of intentions. A denial of the efficacy and sufficiency of the sacrifice of Christ, and a denial of the fulfillment of the Law in him is heretical. It is also the logical outworking of a dispensational viewpoint regarding different covenants in dealing with Israel and the rest of humanity. Consistency is not always pretty.

I rarely use that word. But, I believe that this type of thinking leads in that direction. I am NOT saying that Mr. Hullinger is an heretic. I AM saying that I see this type of interpretation opening the door to heretical teaching.

I rarely use that word. But, I believe that this type of thinking leads in that direction. I am NOT saying that Mr. Hullinger is an heretic. I AM saying that I see this type of interpretation opening the door to heretical teaching.

Agreed.

:amen:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back