Samuel Davies on the need for national reformation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
... Ye that complain of the Burden of our public Taxes; ye that love ease and shrink from the Dangers of War; ye that wish to see peace restored once more; ye that would be happy beyond the Grave, and live forever, attend to my Proposal: It is this, A THOROUGH NATIONAL REFORMATION. This will do, what Millions of Money and Thousands of Men, with Guns and Swords and all the dreadful Artillery of Death, could not do; it will procure us Peace again; a lasting well-established Peace. ...

For more, see Samuel Davies on the need for national reformation.

It is this, A THOROUGH NATIONAL REFORMATION. This will do, what Millions of Money and Thousands of Men, with Guns and Swords and all the dreadful Artillery of Death, could not do; it will procure us Peace again; a lasting well-established Peace. ...

I almost got sick yesterday as I heard Franklin Graham say on Cavuto at Fox the following. "You can be sure that God is with us all and that he is not mad at us, and he loves us all." Or words pretty close to this. I think he should stick to his charitable giving, which is commendable and leave the preaching to others. Even his very Arminian Dad would not have said this.

But the day before yesterday, MyPillow founder Mike Lindell said the following at the president's Daily Briefing on the pandemic.

The My Pillow guy Mike Lindell says this: "God gave us grace on November 8, 2016, to change the course we were on. God had been taken out of our schools & lives, a nation had turned its back on God. I encourage you to use this time at home to get back in the word. Read our Bible"

This short statement was a small shot heard around the nation. Just do a web search and see how many people condemn him for the outrageous thing that he said.

But to me, it was a little drop of fresh water in an ocean of man-centered dribble that we hear constantly. We will get through this. We, the people, are strong, and the people will win this war against the virus.

These and similar statements are precisely the things that will incur even more of God's anger and wrath against our turning our backs on God, as Lindell says. I hope we all, as we have an opportunity, will speak against the man-centered dribble that permeates our media and will instead say that God is angry with us and is showing his anger, and we need to turn to Him for salvation and to Him alone. Whether they hear or whether they forbear, this must be our message.

Last edited:
These and similar statements are precisely the things that will incur even more of God's anger and wrath against our turning our backs on God, as Lindell says. I hope we all, as we have an opportunity, will speak against the man-centered dribble that permeates our media and will instead say that God is angry with us and is showing his anger, and we need to turn to Him for salvation and to Him alone. Whether they hear or whether they forbear, this must be our message.

Postscript;
I just got rebuked by a family member for saying what I did.

I asked the following question to this loved one:
Answer me this. Who is more accurate? Franklin Graham, who declared that God id not mad at us? Or that He is angry with us?

I answered my own question and quoted from Romans 1:18; and Amos 3:6

Is a trumpet blown in a city,
and the people are not afraid?

Does disaster come to a city,
unless the Lord has done it?

Nothing more was said.

The quote mentions taxes. It is probably because of the American taxation system that I was willing to learn a more Reformed view of government. Our tax system has been a tangible demonstration of what happens when you decide that God's Word is not going to be the foundation of national law.

Interestingly, Rev. Davies was pastor to Patrick Henry and likely the inspiration for the latter's oratory style. The patriot first appeared on the public scene arguing the damages stage of a lawsuit over taxes paid to the Anglican clergy. He successfully argued the crown's case, but arrived at a payment of one penny for the plaintiffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back