Samuel Davies on the penitent saint fleeing from sin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regi Addictissimus

Completely sold out to the King
Dear brother and sisters,

It is no secret that Samuel Davies is my favorite preacher in church history. His collected sermons are very dear, or "Precious" @Grant Jones, to me. I have been blessed to hear powerful testimonies of the effects reading his sermons had on peoples lives and ministry. I implore you to search the internet and read every sermon of his you can find. Until then, I want to leave you with this powerful thought on where we shall find the true penitent saint. Please forgive any errors as I have copied from a website as I don't feel like typing it.

"Let us view the returning sinner under his first spiritual concern, which is generally preparatory to evangelical repentance.

And where shall we find him? And what is he doing?

We shall not find him as usual, in a thoughtless hurry about earthly things, confining all his attention to these trifles, and unmindful of the important concerns of eternity. We shall not find him merry and vain, in a circle of jovial, careless companions; much less shall we find him intrepid and secure in a course of sin, gratifying his flesh, and indulging his lusts.

In this enchanted road, the crowd of hardy impenitents pass secure and cheerful down to the chambers of eternal death—but the awakened sinner flies from it with horror; or, if his depraved heart would tempt him to walk in it, he cannot take many steps before he is shocked with the horrid apparition of impending danger! He finds the flattering paths of sin haunted with the terrible specters of guilt; and the sword of divine vengeance gleams bright and dreadful before him, and seems lifted to give the fatal blow!

You will, therefore, find the awakened sinner solitary and solemn in some retired corner, not deceiving himself with vain hopes of safety in his present state—but alarmed with apprehensions of danger. He is not planning schemes for his temporal advantage; nor asking, with sordid anxiety, "Who will show me any worldly good?" but solicitous about his perishing soul, and anxiously inquiring, "What shall I do to be saved?" He is not congratulating himself upon the imaginary goodness of his heart or life, or priding himself with secret wonder in a rich conceit of his excellencies; but you will hear him, in his sorrowful retirement, bemoaning, or (as the original signifies) condoling himself. He sees his case to be really dreadful and sad, and he, as it were, takes up a lamentation over himself. He is no more senseless, hard-hearted, and self-applauding, as he was accustomed to be: but, like a mourning dove, he bewails himself in such pathetic strains" - Rev. Samuel Davies - Sermons of the Rev. Samuel Davies - The Divine Mercy to Mourning Penitents, pg 358.

If you do not own his sermons, you can read this one in full here:
http://www.biblebb.com/files/davies/divine_mercy_to_mourning_penitents.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back