Samuel Rutherford, An Examination of Arminianism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arch2k

Puritan Board Graduate
Samuel Rutherford wrote An Examination of Arminianism. Here is an description:

Examen Arminianismi is the Systematic Theology text of one of Scotland's leading Second Reformation theologians, Samuel Rutherford (1600-1661). It was published in 1668 in Utrecht after Rutherford's death under the supervision of Robert MacWard, his amanuensis at the Westminster Assembly, and Matthias Nethenus, a professor of divinity in the University of Utrecht. The Examen is based on Rutherford's own notes composed for his theology lectures at the University of St. Andrews and are a polemic against the perceived evils of Arminianism.

arminianism.gif

I am looking forward to it's translation into english!

Pierre du Moulin's Anatomy of Arminianism (London, 1620) is, however, in English translation and available via Good Books in IL in reprint. It has long been regarded as one of the finest refutations of Arminianism since its publication.

rsc

There is a PCA pastor, Guy Richard, of First Pres Gulfport, what's left of it at least, working on translating Rutherford's lectures.

Originally posted by Jeff_Bartel
I am looking forward to it's translation into english!

Me too! It's also nice to learn a new word for the day: amanuensis ;)

It's pretty amazing that there are so many excellent Reformed works still yet to be translated into English. I am grateful that we have scholars today who are working to fix that.

For now I will content myself with Owen's Display of Arminianism, Ness' Antidote Against Arminianism, Toplady's Arminianism: The Road to Rome, and Erskine's Arminianism Exposed. :)

:up: I didn't know that Scotch was an antidote to English Arminianism, but I'll head over to the Puritan Pub later today to verify this. I'll report back later (or perhaps not). :D

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
:up: I didn't know that Scotch was an antidote to English Arminianism, but I'll head over to the Puritan Pub later today to verify this. I'll report back later (or perhaps not). :D

Hailing from KY...I have to add that I think Bourbon works as well.:lol:

(within moderation of course...too much and it'll make you hyper...)

Originally posted by crhoades
Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot

Hailing from KY...I have to add that I think Bourbon works as well.:lol:

(within moderation of course...too much and it'll make you hyper...)

:lol::pilgrim:

I always hope that one day the 4-volume theological work of Petrus van Mastricht ever get transelated from latin into english (as has been done with Turretin)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back