Samuel Rutherford, Inquisition, witches

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamistThomist

Puritanboard Clerk
John Coffey (Politics, Religion, and the British Revolutions: The Mind of Samuel Rutherford writes, " Rutherford was probably also acting as an inquisitor in the trial of witches" (50). Where can one read of Rutherford's activities and thoughts on witchery?

I would like to see the evidence though it would only prove he was a man of his times; and it was not a Presbyterian thing; Anglicans had it out for witches when they held sway also.

Coffey admits his evidence isn't airtight. I'm not attacking Rutherford at all. If, for example, she confessed to communing with Satan and doing Satanic rites....

I'm not aware of anything by Rutherford on that topic. Do you know where he is quoting Rutherford out of?

I've collected quite a few works on witches and such. Perkins and Holmes I've published. But there are a host of others by Richard Baxter, Isaac Ambrose, John Cooper, John Brayne, John Gaule, John Davenport, George Gifford, Matthew Hopkins, Pierre Loyer, Cotton Mather, Increase Mather, Lodowick Muggleton, Samuel Petto, John Phillips, Pierre Viret, and John Wagstaffe.

I'm not aware of anything by Rutherford on that topic. Do you know where he is quoting Rutherford out of?

I've collected quite a few works on witches and such. Perkins and Holmes I've published. But there are a host of others by Richard Baxter, Isaac Ambrose, John Cooper, John Brayne, John Gaule, John Davenport, George Gifford, Matthew Hopkins, Pierre Loyer, Cotton Mather, Increase Mather, Lodowick Muggleton, Samuel Petto, John Phillips, Pierre Viret, and John Wagstaffe.

He doesn't actually quote Rutherford. He is making his case of the line of reasoning that a "Rutherford" presided at a witch trial and posits the possibility that it is our Rutherford.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back