Samuel Smith - David's Blessed Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilgrim72

Puritan Board Junior
Does anyone know where I can find a website that has Samuel Smith's sermon on Psalm 1? I've been looking for quite a while and have come up empty. :(

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks! :)

I have the Tentmaker Publications edition of that, and I think it may appear in electronic form on the next edition of the Encyclopedia Puritannica Project cd, but I don't know of an online edition. :2cents:

Samuel Smith:

Ver. 1. Blessed is the man that hath not, &c.

Blessed is the man, or, oh the blessedness of that man, or as it is in the original, 'Oh the blessedness of that man!' They seem to be the words of a man musing and meditating with himself wherein man's blessedness should consist, as if he should say, Some pronounce him blessed that is in honour; some count them blessed that have abundance of riches, some that live in pleasure; some place it in one thing, some in another. But oh the blessedness of that man that fears the Lord, that is truly religious, of the godly and righteous man!

I have the Tentmaker Publications edition of that, and I think it may appear in electronic form on the next edition of the Encyclopedia Puritannica Project cd, but I don't know of an online edition. :2cents:

Correction: The EPP is preparing Samuel Smith on Psalm 51 (rather than Psalm1) for the next edition:

"David's Repentance; or, A plaine and familiar Exposition of the LI. Psalm: first preached, and now published for the benefit of God's church. Wherein euery faithful Christian may set before his eyes the Patterne of vnfeigned Repentance, whereby we may take heed of the falling into sin again. The eighth edition, newly revised and profitably amplified by the author, SAMVEL SMITH, preacher of the word of God at Prittlewell in Essex...1630."

Andrew was correct that Tentmaker do have this in print. It was printed in the Nichol Series of Puritan commentaries and was combined with works by Thomas Pierson and William Gouge.

You can order the hardcopy from The Tentmaker website which is :

Here

The list of Samuel Smith's commentaries is as follows (not counting individual sermons):

Ps. 1
Ps. 23
Ps. 51
Ps. 90
Hosea 1-4
2 John

Nice list!

Also, an update regarding the OP. I have since purchased a copy of the Tentmaker edition of the commentary on individual Psalms, which includes Samuel Smith's comentary on Psalm 1. (I haven't read all of it yet, but I've enjoyed the read so far, and he seems to be quite thorough.) Anyway, in the memoir by Alexander Grosart, he lists his works... which is quite interesting to me. (I wonder how many of these are currently in print, or even exist anymore.)

Nice list!

Also, an update regarding the OP. I have since purchased a copy of the Tentmaker edition of the commentary on individual Psalms, which includes Samuel Smith's comentary on Psalm 1. (I haven't read all of it yet, but I've enjoyed the read so far, and he seems to be quite thorough.) Anyway, in the memoir by Alexander Grosart, he lists his works... which is quite interesting to me. (I wonder how many of these are currently in print, or even exist anymore.)

:up: I've spent some time looking for other works by Smith listed by Grosart and they are not easy to find. I know you will enjoy reading the commentary on Psalm 1 (or anything else by Smith). You will probably enjoy these extracts in particular:

http://www.puritanboard.com/f36/samuel-smith-meditation-38625/

BTW, Grosart too is worth studying. He did good work.

http://www.puritanboard.com/f18/alexander-b-grosart-38831/

Nice list!

Hey Alex -- I finally found it online. Samuel Smith on Psalm 1; Thomas Pierson on Psalms 27, 84, 85 and 87; and William Gouge on Psalm 116. Sorry it is late but here you go!

Internet Archive: Details: David's blessed man : a short exposition on the first Psalm, directing a man to true happiness

Incredible! Thanks Andrew! :D

It's true, I did hunt down the book, and found the Tentmaker version, but it's also good to know it's available online.

Incredible! Thanks Andrew! :D

It's true, I did hunt down the book, and found the Tentmaker version, but it's also good to know it's available online.

Yes, nothing compares to having a book to hold in your hands, but there is something to be said also for having an online electronic version as well. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back