Satan and the Elect

Status
Not open for further replies.

panta dokimazete

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
Was listening to a Piper sermon today and he mentioned Satan, which lead my mind off onto a tangent about the relation of Satan to the Elect.

I was considering that since Satan has no ultimate power over the perseverance of the Elect - what purpose does he play in the walk of the Elect and how effective is he?

That is, since our purpose is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever, wouldn't Satan's primary purpose be to reduce our ability to glorify God and snatch away our joy?

In that case, I see that he succeeds sometimes in the short term, temporal, sense, but I can also see where he fails, since one could certainly present that he a tool of God for our sanctification.

I would also propose that he is aware of his ultimate failure, but stubbornly and pridefully refuses to concede or consider that he could fail. (as in the case of Job)

I would be interested in the thoughts of the brethren.

Last edited:
Sorry for the tangent and :deadhorse:, but would FV find a greater role (if you could say that) for satan and the 'elect'?

Sorry for the tangent and :deadhorse:, but would FV find a greater role (if you could say that) for satan and the 'elect'?

I suppose so - since, from how I understand it, "election" in the FV is not the traditionally Reformed definition.

oops - maybe it is...

Leithart: A few dimensions to my answer to the first question: First, God has decreed the eternal destiny of elect and reprobate. That cannot help but color God’s attitude toward someone who is ultimately reprobate. He is obviously conscious that any blessing He gives or favor He shows is blessing and favor to a reprobate.

from here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back