Satanic or Demonic Attacks on Christians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Demons cannot possess Christians, the space is occupied by the Holy Spirit. They can influence us however, by tempting and casting doubt on God's Word.

Matt, where did you get this info about "strongholds" and all these behaviors you listed? Just curious.

I am not an expert on demonic affairs. My belief comes from biblical examples and educated/informed hypothesis using logic & reasoning. For example I have made the following conclusions:

1. We know there is an order amongst the creatures in heaven... therefore there must also be a similar order with those who have fallen.

2. Angels in heaven have different roles (for example Lucifer himself was a light bearer as well as a musician). Fallen angels therefore were also created with different roles before the fall. A good topical bible reference will list all the different types of spirits for you (examples include: spirits of perversion, spirit of lasciviousness, spirit of drunkenness, unclean spirits, restless spirits, haughty spirits etc.). There are a ton of examples. After you look all these up, you can begin to see the certain spirits which influence those around you... it's entertaining, interesting and flat out scary.

3. Some order of demons may to be territorial (over specific geographic regions). These may be certain strongholds... not to mention spirits with similiar roles (a stonghold of perversion has a little kingdom of homosexual followers). Territorial strongholds may be a group of demons that are responsible for the deviant behaviors found in many cities. For example, the demons in Mark 5 did not want Jesus to send them out of the country (Mark 5:10). In addition, they also did not want to be sent into the abyss (Luke 8:31). The word abyss is the Greek word tartarus (found multiple times in Revelation as the place of demons). I believe this is a holding pen for them where they await their expulsion into the lake of fire (Rev 20:1-3). I would imagine they do not want to be sent there prematurely for they will be rendered useless until the time they are released again as indicated in Rev Ch. 9.

4. Angels can manifest themselves into visible forms (such as the angels that stayed with Lot and destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah). Fallen angels may have the same ability.

5. Some of the symptoms of demonic activity/influence/possession can be clearly seen with the following passages concerning the Gadarenes demoniac mentioned in Matt, Mark & Luke.

a. Living among tombs may indicate an obsession with death. Mark 5:3.
b. The unclean spirits gave him great strength. Chains could not bind him. Mark 5:3.
c. He was a wild man. No man could tame him. Mark 5:4.
d. He was constantly crying. Mark 5:5. Indicates depression, pain and/or suffering.
e. He was cutting himself with stones. Mark 5:5. This is self mutilation.
f. He was exceeding fierce... no fear, dangerous, possibly murderous. Matt 8:28
g. The demons invoked suicide in the pigs after they were cast out. Matt 8:31-32.
h. He was in his right mind in Mark 5:15 which indicate he was previously out of his mind.
i. He was clothed in Mark 5:15 which indicate that he was previously naked.
j. Luke 8:27 verifies he was naked living amongst the tombs.

6. Believe what you wish on the process of sanctification. Christians are supposed to be brought up to spiritual maturity and made holy through the workings of God and the Holy Spirit. I do not believe this occurs overnight. I believe sanctification also involves your will and how your choices may squelch the Holy Spirit indwelling in you. Obedience to God´s law and purging sin enforces that righteousness that exceeds the scribes and the Pharisees. Your job is to guard your gates. These are the gates to the temple of God. Once you begin to let something in, you may want more and more.

I agree with you that we are to avoid known sin and to repent and keep short accounts with God. I also believe that giving in to temptation again and again is a dangerous practice. However, the reason for this, in my life at least, is the seemingly bottomless pool of depravity in my own heart. I am always underestimating this. Sin isn't only like dirt to be washed off, it's something within which must be gradually neutralized and destroyed by faith in Christ's righteousness imputed to me, and faith in the atonement provided by His death & ressurrection. This is why I need to preach the Gospel to myself every day.

Even as a Christian walking with the Lord, there is so much wickedness even in our best services to God that there would be ample room for Satan to tempt us and raise doubts in us if God did not defend us. If we draw near to God, the devil will flee from us.

Love in Christ,
Meg

Originally posted by rembrandt
honestly, I don't think Christians are to be concerned with demonic attacks.

I'd agree with this....and yet, I recall a time where I had to visit a Roman Catholic service -- a statue of Mary was carried and praised throughout the church (festival to Mary.) The children were singing to Mary's honor in a very intense presentation, putting flowers at the feet of the statue. (Blatant idolatry.)

I have a fairly solid-faith but found myself so very low; grieving and downright incapacitated. I left the room overwhelmed with mourning. (strange, physical experience) This was far worse than a Wicca event I had to previously work at. (I have a wierd job.)

Granted, not many share a calling to visit varieties of what we know are doctrinally-demonic meetings...so far, I cling to focusing upon Christ-His Word-the knowledge of Him.

Frequently, though, I think ignorant-weak Christians attribute the consequences of their own sinfulness to the powers of Satan. Especially when they are more eager to focus on Satan rather than taking responsibility for their own repentance. They hardly ever suspect the human proclivity to sin as being part of their predicament.

Satan and his minions are more involved with distorting the Gospel. Satan knows Scripture better than most professing Christians. The struggle we face with our own flesh is more than enough to keep us busy...Satan knows this -- he's got bigger "fish to fry" by attempting to thwart the Gospel...(again, knowing the time is short.)

Let's rate how is he doing. How much hardship does the proclamation of the Gospel receive these days? How well are the saints prepared to fight for the Gospel?

:2cents:

Robin

Originally posted by maxdetail
Right Newly Reformed,
except the demons aren't bound by cultural standards, they use the cultural standards. What I mean't by 'overstepping their bounds', and it was just a figure of speech, was that they will eventually go to far and betray themselves. They will become overt. My theory is they get proud and go too far. Demons do their best work when they can go unnoticed. Sorry for the confusion and you are right not to fill your head with demonology. There are much more God gloryfying disciplines.

You're on to something....I've noticed that the New Agers do claim contacts and strange events...usually the result of their probing and opening up to it. By that time, the bait is ingested. But, all of it is tied around a false gospel -- distortion of Law and Gospel. Attempting to minister to a NA is not for the novice believer.

I also affirm, the Christian is to focus and labor to know about Christ. Knowledge = study God's Word = about Christ (not about satan, primarily -- and not about triumphalism.) Knowledge about Justification; the Gospel; Redemption; Covenant.

:candle:

R.

"Satan knows Scripture better than most professing Christians."

That should read 'all professing Christians'. Maybe not experimentally, but he's got it memorized and knows how to use it for his purpose.

Originally posted by maxdetail
"Satan knows Scripture better than most professing Christians."

That should read 'all professing Christians'. Maybe not experimentally, but he's got it memorized and knows how to use it for his purpose.

:amen: Bob

r.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back