Satan's personal history

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pergamum

Ordinary Guy (TM)
How does Satan's (and his demons) personal histories progress?

---He was created as the highest arch-angel, to guard man possibly?

---He uses man instead and is cursed.

--He takes some of the angels with him (is it a third and where does this fraction come from). He is more powerful than them to the degree that Matthew 25 speaks of the devil and "his" angels. Why is Satan so much more powerful? Because God created him as a special deputy?

--- Though cursed he can still approach the throne of God? (when does this end?)

---He approaches the throne after wandering around the earth and places the Job wager.

---And some other things in the OT (what are those other things?)

-Satan temps Jesus. Did Satan "carry" Jesus up to the tall peak and how so? If they saw all the kingdoms of the world, than does this show a degree of omnipresence over the knowledge of the world? Was this a legitimate offer to Jesus? Is he the ruler of the world at that time, and is he now?

--Then, in the NT, Jesus says that he sees Satan falling like lightnening from heaven and gives reference to plundering the Strong Man's house. If this is so, can Satan still approach the throne of God or is he now "cast down" and to where? the earth only? And when does Satan fall from heaven?

---Is Satan defeated or is he the prince of the power of the air. Was he defeated at the cross or is he still the lord of this world? Why do both perspectives occur at the same time in the NT?

---As the Gospel goes forth should we see a decrease in demonic manifestations? i.e. I have seen more "demonic" activity here than I have seen in the US? Is this due to the Gospel spread or to cultural differences or the giving up of superstitions or rampantness of superstition.

--Some demons seem to roam free and others seems to be bound in chains?

---In general, during this "millenial time" (this present time) the forces of Satan are bound through the Gospel, though there might be a last time of Great Apostasy at the end.

--- Then, when Satan returns, Satan and the remaining demons (the ones not already in chains) are thrown into the Lake of Fire?

What is the progression?

Pergy, on Pastor Winzer's recommendation I've been reading Satan Cast Out: A Study in Biblical Demonology
By: Frederick S. Leahy. Good read, well balanced.

I'll send you a copy. Should I send it to you or to your folks? PM me.

--- Though cursed he can still approach the throne of God? (when does this end?)

---He approaches the throne after wandering around the earth and places the Job wager.

I would argue that Satan can no longer approach the throne of God; indeed, he never has since he fell from heaven. The passage in Job (1:6-12) does not say Satan was before God's throne, but rather in his presence in the place where the sons of God, believers, met the Lord; the Lord always met his people in a certain place, whether it was the holy of holies or the altar where he met Cain and Abel.

Many believe this passage is talking about Satan being amongst the angels before God's throne, but this cannot be true since 1) Heb. 1:5 says God has never referred to an angel as his son and 2) Hab. 1:13 says God's eyes cannot behold evil. This point is further proven when God asks Satan where he came from, and Satan replies "...on the earth... ."

---As the Gospel goes forth should we see a decrease in demonic manifestations? i.e. I have seen more "demonic" activity here than I have seen in the US? Is this due to the Gospel spread or to cultural differences or the giving up of superstitions or rampantness of superstition.

2 Timothy 3:13 - I'd say that the more the Gospel is spread throughout the earth, its light will increasingly manifest what is hidden in darkness; namely, the nature of the hearts sinfulness (Jer. 17:9) enabled by satanic (demonic) influence (Eph. 2:2,3).

Is Satan defeated or is he the prince of the power of the air. Was he defeated at the cross or is he still the lord of this world? Why do both perspectives occur at the same time in the NT?

The word "air" in Eph. 2:2 is the greek word kosmos meaning "orderly arrangement, i.e. decoration of the world [kosmeo]." Satan is still the lord of the power of the air. Chafer says it this way:

"The cosmos is a vast order or system that Satan has prompted, which conforms to his ideals, aims, and methods. It is civilization now functioning apart from God -- a civilization in which none of its promoters really expect God to share, who assign to God no consideration in respect to their projects; nor do they ascribe any causativity to Him. This system embraces its godless governments, conflicts, armaments, jealousies, its education, culture, religions of morality, and pride. It is that sphere in which man lives. It is what he sees, what he employs. To the uncounted multitude it is all they ever know so long as they live on this earth. It is properly styled by the satanic system, which phrase is in many instances a justified interpretation of the so-meaningful word, cosmos. It is literally a cosmos diabolicus."

This would show that Satan's power was defeated by the cross and at the resurrection, but his purpose and passion remains the same; in fact, I believe Satan's passion is intensified as he knows no longer holds the keys to death (Rev 1:18), and this intense passion is proven by 2 Timothy 3:12,13 - Satan, through his cosmos, persecutes all who wish to live a godly life in Christ.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back