Saturday's soccer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somerset

Puritan Board Junior
What a day it was!

West Ham beating Blackpool - I lived in East London for years, and for English of a certain age it just feels wrong for Bobby Morre's team not to be in the top flight.

Hearts beating Hibs - with apologies to the PB member who supports Hibs, but Hearts are generally seen as the protestant team. That the whole first team joined up as one in 1914 still strikes a chord with Loyalists and Unionists.

Chelsea winning the European cup. Chelsea was founded by an ex Rangers player and the supporters are still very friendly.

That's just the football - beating the Windies was just a bonus, though the phrase "beating the Windies" just doesn't seem right to those of us who remember the stream of big, fast bowlers and champion batsman they produced.

What a day it was!

West Ham beating Blackpool - I lived in East London for years, and for English of a certain age it just feels wrong for Bobby Morre's team not to be in the top flight.

Hearts beating Hibs - with apologies to the PB member who supports Hibs, but Hearts are generally seen as the protestant team. That the whole first team joined up as one in 1914 still strikes a chord with Loyalists and Unionists.

Chelsea winning the European cup. Chelsea was founded by an ex Rangers player and the supporters are still very friendly.

That's just the football - beating the Windies was just a bonus, though the phrase "beating the Windies" just doesn't seem right to those of us who remember the stream of big, fast bowlers and champion batsman they produced.

Blackpool were robbed!

You will find that there were also may Hibs players in what was known as McCrae's Battalion!

Only benefit in Chelsea's win is that Spurs will not play in the Champions League.

As for the cricket, a win is a win!

Regards

What a day it was!

H-E-A-R-T-S If you cannae spell it then here's what it says.
Hearts, Hearts glorious Hearts
It's down at Tynecastle we bide,
The talk o the toon are the boys in maroon
And Auld Reekie supports them wi pride
This is my story this is my song
Follow the Hearts and you'll not go wrong
Some say that Celtic and Rangers are grand
But the boys in maroon are the best in the land

Delighted to see the 5-1 win but perversely I was disappointed we didn't score more. As a 14 year old who stood on the terracing at Tynecastle watching Hibs thump us 7-0 I had hoped for such a big margin. Hibs were just so bad and didn't even look interested.

I do object to the protestant link to Hearts. Sectarianism is the poisonous legacy of the Old Firm and we can do without it spreading. I thought it was great to see Hampden full on Saturday with green and maroon flags being waved and not a single tricolour or union flag in sight and not have to listen to anyone being up to their knees in anyone's blood.

You will find that there were also may Hibs players in what was known as McCrae's Battalion!

Yes it wasn't just the Hearts players who signed up many others did so too although Hearts did so en masse. Interestingly enough it was the Hearts who gave Rangers the nickname of 'the huns'. Hearts players signed up to fight the Germans, Rangers didn't, hence this is why Rangers have been called the huns to this day as they were derided as being pro-German by not signing up to fight.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilA View Post
Yes it wasn't just the Hearts players who signed up many others did so too although Hearts did so en masse. Interestingly enough it was the Hearts who gave Rangers the nickname of 'the huns'. Hearts players signed up to fight the Germans, Rangers didn't, hence this is why Rangers have been called the huns to this day as they were derided as being pro-German by not signing up to fight.

From memory 13 players enlisted, 8 from the first team the rest from the reserves. It’s a few years since I looked at this when I visited Contalmaison doing some research. There is a memorial in the village to the 16th Royal Scots, also known as McCrae's Battalion. A short distance away is a memorial to Donald Simpson Bell VC who was the first professional footballer to enlist (Bradford Park Avenue A.F.C.).

Regards

I have to accept that Blackpool certainly played better

The memorial in Edinburgh to the hearts team of 1914 was, I believe, moved to a side street whilst the tram line was being built. I think a careful eye will have to be kept on the council that it goes back to it's place of prominence.

Football would be better all round without the sectarianism - interesting that it hasn't been an issue with Liverpool and Everton.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back