Saved by Grace by Herman Bavnick

Status
Not open for further replies.

pem

Puritan Board Freshman
Just popped through my letterbox this morning ( i confess - i am a bookaholic) is the 2013 reprint of Hermann Bavnicks ; Saved by Grace ; The Holy Spirits Work in Calling & Regeneration . (originally published in 1903). It reflects on the salvation doctrines in the Dutch church which is more than relavant today with Liberalism rearing its ugly head everywhere .Reviewer John Bolt, (Calvin Theological Seminary) says ; " This book takes up questions with which every new generation of Reformed writers must grapple ". More & more of Bavnicks works are being publushed in English today due to demand . This is my first foray into Bavnicks mind and was recommended by William Hendricksen who translated Bavnicks Doctrine of God. Being used to reading British Puritans , these Dutch chaps are a whole new ball-game . Treat yourself and buy it !

I understand that a major reason Bavinck wrote this was he was concerned about the way Kuyper was formulating the doctrine of regeneration. Can someone enlighten me re this?

Go to amazon and buy it now

I have only read 40 pages of this book but it appears that Kuypers view on calling, regeneration and sanctification has a lot to do with semantics (sanctification/mortification etc) Kuyper was writing in his day regarding infant baptism and salvation as many Christians were alarmed at the infant mortality rate . He goes on to discuss Immediate or Unmediated Regeneration and states 8 successive stages in Gods Gracious work in the life of the sinner . Kuyper also talks about 3 distinct stages when speaking of regeneration in the wider sense and a first and second Grace . Eternal Justification is also much talked about and the fact that infants could be justified from the womb (Jeremiah 1:5 )KJV . After only 40 pages it really does appear to be a question of a mis-understanding of terminolgy between Kuyper and Bavnick - which is sadly , also the case today regarding Law and Gospel .... ................i'm off to finish reading it but i would strongly suggest that everyone who thinks they know everything about this subject should purchase it , read it and ponder . Proverbs 1 :7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back