SBC to become "Great Commission Baptists"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope they don't go for Sou, to keep in step with Cru.

This was EXACTLY my first thought!

:ditto:

When the ABC of the Pacific Southwest judicatory withdrew from the American Baptists a few years ago, they went with "Transformation Ministries." I assume that "fighters not lovers," "where two or three or gathered, we have at least four opinions," or even "have hairspray will travel, can I have an 'amen'?" were already taken, so the SBC went with a trendier term: Great Commission Baptists. At least they did not go the whole way and capitulate to the fad de jour and call themselves "Missional Baptists."

Just think, they could have been the "Missional Movement of Post-this, that, and the other thing, Emergent, Coolniks."

It will be so good to be distinguished from the non-Great Commission baptists.

This will help to sort out Baptist soteriology:

Great Commission Baptists: Arminian
Great Commandment Baptists: Liberal
Great Expectations Baptists: Pelagian

What should the Reformed Baptists be called?

This is so wonderful. Now I get to tell folks that I'm theologically Reformed but that I go to a Great Commission Baptist Church. They'll all think I changed denominations and I still sit in the same pew. They will also ask, I thought you wanted to join the OPC?

Anybody remember Bold Mission Thrust from back in the 70s when everyone in the world was to hear the Gospel by 2000? Did it work?

So does this mean that Southern Pacific Railroad and Southern Living magazine will change their names too? What will they call Southern Gospel music?

So does this mean that Southern Pacific Railroad and Southern Living magazine will change their names too?

What Southern Pacific Railroad? They have Union Pacific on the trains now. And Southern Living is very much a regional publication (even the Texas version doesn't have some of the good stuff you get in the deep south). Southern Gospel is also regional, so a name change wouldn't be needed there, unless the genre wanted to expand into the Seattle coffee houses.

What will they call Southern Gospel music?

Heavenly Hillbilly?
Country Christian?
Toothless Trinitarian?
Bluegrass Backslider?
Big Hair Harmonies?
Charismatic Carols?
Baptist Bluegrass?
Holiness Harmonies Homecoming?
Sweaty Spirituals?

I think that's fine. I'd have no problem with the PCA not using "in America" in our name. It's not like the Southern part of the name is the part that is Christian--sorry to burst your bubble my southern friends;). In giving an optional alternate name, they are saying that they are more than Southern, not less than Christian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back