Schools of Dispensationalism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Particular Baptists would be those holding to the TULIP, and think he does hold to that Theology.
Particular Baptists hold to the covenant theology of the 1644/1646 Baptist confession and the 1689 Baptist confession. MacArthur does not. It is very misleading to call MacArthur a Particular Baptist.

He's not Reformed and doesn't pretend to be. Same with Piper.
It depends on how one is using that term, as there are some who see it broadened to be one who holds to TULIP, and one who restricts reformed to ones holding to entire CT.

Particular Baptists hold to the covenant theology of the 1644/1646 Baptist confession and the 1689 Baptist confession. MacArthur does not. It is very misleading to call MacArthur a Particular Baptist.
I know someone who sees himself as being a Particular Baptist, who does not hold to Confessions, but does hold with the Canon of Dort.

It depends on how one is using that term, as there are some who see it broadened to be one who holds to TULIP, and one who restricts reformed to ones holding to entire CT.

That's right. Some have redefined the term and apply it to the other JM and Piper. Reformed usually refers to someone who is confessional (covenant theology, Calvinistic soteriology and regulative principle of worship).

So Particular Baptists would be reformed ones, and Calvinist Baptists would be those like Dr Mac?

The term "Reformed" has become a little too loose in my estimation. Though debatable these days, I don't use the term "Reformed" when referencing my confessional, Baptist brothers and, certainly not for anti-covenantal, anti-confessional folk. It is certainly not because I don't respect them or because I think I'm the only right guy on the planet. Rather, the term "Reformed" has historical meaning that was exclusively paedobaptist. I believe meanings are important. I would never call my confessional Baptist brothers "Methodists" for the very same reason and would be bothered if they called me Roman Catholic for my paedobaptist theology.

Further, as has been discussed and had general agreement, the bare minimum for those who use the term "Reformed" would be 1- Calvinistic, 2- confessional, and covenantal. Johnny Mac only passes one one these criteria.

I'm not going to "make" anyone change their language, but I won't participate in its usage.:2cents:

That's right. Some have redefined the term and apply it to the other JM and Piper. Reformed usually refers to someone who is confessional (covenant theology, Calvinistic soteriology and regulative principle of worship).
And also holds to some form/type of a Confession of faith.

The term "Reformed" has become a little too loose in my estimation. Though debatable these days, I don't use the term "Reformed" when referencing my confessional, Baptist brothers and, certainly not for anti-covenantal, anti-confessional folk. It is certainly not because I don't respect them or because I think I'm the only right guy on the planet. Rather, the term "Reformed" has historical meaning that was exclusively paedobaptist. I believe meanings are important. I would never call my confessional Baptist brothers "Methodists" for the very same reason and would be bothered if they called me Roman Catholic for my paedobaptist theology.

Further, as has been discussed and had general agreement, the bare minimum for those who use the term "Reformed" would be 1- Calvinistic, 2- confessional, and covenantal. Johnny Mac only passes one one these criteria.

I'm not going to "make" anyone change their language, but I won't participate in its usage.:2cents:
There seems to be broadly the 3 main kinds of Baptists:
Reformed Holding to CT/Confessions of faith
Calvinistic Hold to mainly TULIP, sometimes hold to partial CT/Confession
Dispensational Calvinist baptist Maybe the most common example, as one holding to TULIP and Dispensational at same time

There seems to be broadly the 3 main kinds of Baptists:
Reformed Holding to CT/Confessions of faith
Calvinistic Hold to mainly TULIP, sometimes hold to partial CT/Confession
Dispensational Calvinist baptist Maybe the most common example, as one holding to TULIP and Dispensational at same time

I would posit the most common kind of Baptist (I was raised one) would be Arminian/Free Will/Dispensationalist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back