Scots unite

Status
Not open for further replies.

JennyG

Puritan Board Graduate
This is mostly on behalf of Scottish members (like me!).
The terms "Freshman", "Sophomore" etc which are attached to everyone depending on the number of their posts, are very specific to America (where most of you belong, it's true).
But this is a site with strong Scottish/Presbyterian roots, and for Scots -- plus of course anyone else that liked -- I would love to see the proper old Scottish terms revived. They are:
Bejant (or Bejantine if female) for a first-year; Semi(e) for a second year; Tertian for junior Honours year, and Magistrand for the fourth and final year of the undergraduate degree.
How about it??

Last edited:
Well then we might have to do that for EVERY culture... plus that is how we Americans like it (we rule it all!) ;P ;D

Well then we might have to do that for EVERY culture... plus that is how we Americans like it (we rule it all!) ;P ;D
No, only for the Scots, because we are probably the only ones with our very own classy medieval terms!!:p

? I've never come accross this terminology? :p

Which Scottish universities/colleges is it used in?

I'm from Scottish ancestory (Robertson) but I'm distinctly American. Descending from European roots a Puritan Board fuedal system would be more in order. New members should be peasants. More frequent posters can become tradesmen, land owners, knights, lords, dukes etc. I want to be a potentate yielding extreme executive power that derivives from a mandate from the masses, not some farsical aquatic ceremony. Oh, forgive me. I digress.

Being a graduate of Napier and Glasgow Caledonian Universities I am unfamiliar with these terms. Do they use these designations at St Andrew's? I am just an uncultured boy from a small village in the Highlands. At least I can spell freshman, sophomore, etc.:p

I'm Scottish/Irish.....what would that look like? :)

A mix between this
scottish_terrier_01_puppies_for_sale.jpg

and that
irish%20terrier.jpg

The Irish definitely have a size advantage.

Being a graduate of Napier and Glasgow Caledonian Universities I am unfamiliar with these terms. Do they use these designations at St Andrew's? I am just an uncultured boy from a small village in the Highlands. At least I can spell freshman, sophomore, etc.:p
Glasgow, pfft, that fly-by-night settlement.:rolleyes:
Yes, it is St Andrews terminology, though almost gone out of use now. I think it was originally more widespread but lingered on longest there and at Aberdeen. It's the language that would have been familiar to John Knox, Samuel Rutherford and Thomas Chalmers.

-----Added 10/1/2009 at 04:07:47 EST-----

....as for Sarah, she could have special honorary terms, O'Bejant, O'Semie, O'Tertian etc, except that with her being a Professor of course they would no longer apply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back