To live my life
You became my reason to survive the great divide
You set me free
You set me free
You set me free

Originally posted by Craig
Scott Sapp
lmao.gif

I heard an interview with him one time and it left a sour taste in my mouth. He became negligent to his family In my humble opinion.

[Edited on 11-4-2005 by puritancovenanter]

The thing that bothers me about Creed is that they're sort of phony (no offense to any Creed fans). Aren't they supposed to be a Christian rock band? Yet in "What's This Life For?" they take the Lord's name in vain several times.. It goes something like this (except I'm obviously not going to type in the name in this context):

Don't have to settle no ***damn score
Because we all live under the reign of one King. (he repeats these lines several times)

Before you say anything, yes, I've said it too once or twice (actually, many times singing along with this song, 'til one day when I suddenly noticed it!) and I don't have any right to judge Creed. However, it's clear in the song that he's singing it deliberately, and that bugs me. Or am I not interpreting it properly? To me, it seems like he's taking the Lord's name in vain. But if this somehow isn't, please let me know.

(By the way, I'm back! It's been a while--I was internet-less again)

Wasn't the song, "What's this life for" on the My Own Prison album? That was their first album, and I know that they have matured since, at least Stapp. His divorce and drinking made him learn some serious lessons, now he is a christian, and a single father taking up his cross daily.

My perception is that whenever a child grows up in a Christian home and they are not Christian, they usually think that the blessings of the parents that rubs off on them, is their own, "luck and greatness". This is what I think happened to Scott. Its only after he realize that if one cannot handle the blessing then it is not really a blessing but a curse, then he began to turn his life around.

I have always seen the phrase *** damn as an imprecatory statement.
Not taking the name in vain at all, but cursing the object or person the phrase is directed at.

However, of all their songs, that one crosses the line, probably more because I felt it was unneccessary to use that phrase. It may be delibertely trying to offend more sensitive people.

I agree, in Creed's "What's This Life For?" it was needless.

But what about using the phrase in it's proper context expression?

Anyone familiar with the old Steppenwolf song about the Pusher Man?

I don't want to be needlessly critical (let me know if I am), but Stapp simply CAN NOT SING!!!!! Lyrically he has been a bit ambiguous i think...the new song is obviously trying to steal the "sound" of creed....As a musician, i would be insulted if some cat hired me to be the band that broke up? see what i mean....lets give him a listen and see where he goes...obviously his soul is more important than the music.....:)

Originally posted by ChristopherPaul
I agree, in Creed's "What's This Life For?" it was needless.

But what about using the phrase in it's proper context expression?

Anyone familiar with the old Steppenwolf song about the Pusher Man?

Good question! I love that song, but probably only because I agree with the message. It's hard to say whether John Kay (hope I spelled that right) is taking the Lord's name in vain.. I suppose in that case it depends on whether or not he means it.

Were Steppenwolf Christians? I believe they were originally from Yorkville, in Toronto, so my guess is they weren't ( :p to Toronto!). In that case, he's taking it in vain, but he doesn't know any better. A heathen can be expected to sin like mad, but Christians aren't supposed to.

If he's Christian, then it depends on how much weight he's putting in the name "God". Probably he isn't using it reverentially. Then, clearly, it's being taken in vain.

However, even if he IS saying it with reverence, it still isn't very nice to tell God to damn someone! When is that ever good? We're supposed to hope people will be reformed through grace and be saved! So "***damn" and "God damn ..." are wrong, in my opinion, whether or not they're taking the Lord's name in vain.

I have heard from a variety of places that the line in question from "What's This Life For?" is a quote from a suicide note of a buddy of the band.

Doesn't make it right. I'm just giving the context, and perhaps some of Stapp's justification.

Pearl Jam? Anybody? Buehler?

In one of the stranger paradoxes of my life, I also think that Stapp has a lousy voice and poor lyrical depth, though I also strangely enjoy the Creed sound, even though every song is completely predictable: you always know when the hammer-ons will come, same VCVCBC structure every time. Funny, but I like it even while I smile to myself knowing how mediocre it is.

In one of the stranger paradoxes of my life, I also think that Stapp has a lousy voice and poor lyrical depth, though I also strangely enjoy the Creed sound, even though every song is completely predictable: you always know when the hammer-ons will come, same VCVCBC structure every time. Funny, but I like it even while I smile to myself knowing how mediocre it is.

He is no Bono, but lyrically, I dig it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back