Scottish Christian Heritage

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddpedlar

Iron Dramatist
Last month I bought Iain Murray's "A Scottish Christian Heritage", and began reading it a week ago - I discovered, on taking off the dustcover, that the spine reads "Iain Murry" in the author's place. I assume this is true for the whole batch (or have I got a collector's item like the upside-down plane stamp or
the double-die 1955 penny? :lol:) - but I'm amazed that Banner would let something like this slip with a book by Murray, one of their more prominent current authors... luckily this doesn't detract from an otherwise nice volume ;)

Aside from that typo (this from a philatelist), it looks good to me. I'd like to get it. I'd be glad to hear your thoughts about it, Todd. :book2:

I found the book very disappointing. Murray's views on the RPW especially as they relate to psalomdy cause him (in my opinion) to incorrectly claim that Knox and the early Scottish reformation did not hold to the RPW as strictly as later Scots.

In another chapter, Murray argues against the (Scottish) ideal of visible uniformity in a national church.

Overall, there were some interesting chapters on individuals, but I (wrongly) thought the book would have been more sympathetic to the historic Scottish Presbyterian tradition than it was.

See the Rev. Anthony Dallison's comments here http://groups.yahoo.com/group/r-f-w/message/9464

Last edited:
Murray does seem to be on a tear against strict RPW and EP in his latest works. As I've said before I like the old (younger) Murray on the RPW much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back