Scottish Churches Launch Legal Action

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottmaciver

Puritan Board Sophomore
A number of Scottish churches are launching legal action against the Scottish Government, through Christian Concern, in relation to closing the churches during the pandemic. See this video (Here).

I like how those pastors resist making debatable claims about conspiracies or overreaction, instead acknowledging that COVID is dangerous and worthy of concern, but then go on to assert that even in such a situation—in fact, especially in such a situation—their nation and its people need churches and weekly worship.

This feels like the right approach. I'm getting tired of churches that take a "this is not a real danger so lay off of us" argument, as if faith meant ignoring dangers. It's much healthier, I think, to have a faith that faces dangers—one that acknowledges them and responds by grasping God more tightly.

I like how those pastors resist making debatable claims about conspiracies or overreaction, instead acknowledging that COVID is dangerous and worthy of concern, but then go on to assert that even in such a situation—in fact, especially in such a situation—their nation and its people need churches and weekly worship.

This feels like the right approach. I'm getting tired of churches that take a "this is not a real danger so lay off of us" argument, as if faith meant ignoring dangers. It's much healthier, I think, to have a faith that faces dangers—one that acknowledges them and responds by grasping God more tightly.
When 99.7% survive the virus it's difficult to take seriously the claims that it's dangerous. Particularly for those under 70. That said, closing churches regardless of risk is to say that Christ's blood is not essential to our lives. This of course is nothing short of blasphemy.

Thanks for posting Scott. The situation in Scotland is a burden that weighs heavily.

I am thankful that the government in England and Wales backed down wrt to churches. We fervently pray the same for our Scottish brothers and sisters and that the church there would be revived, renewed, and vibrant in a day of such darkness and confusion.

Peace,
Alan

I am thankful that the government in England and Wales
I need to come to the defense of our Welsh friends and point out Wales has its own government, though in certain respect subordinate to Westminster. It seems to me Wales has the power to encourage her own churches to remain open under the Government of Wales Act 2006 s 60 (1) (b) which allows for the promotion or improvement of the social well-being of Wales. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/32/section/60

The great Welshman, Martyn Lloyd-Jones, once thought it fitting to educate his American friends. On a visit to the USA he once said it was important to realise that the difference between the English and Welsh was "beyond description and definition" :)
We fervently pray the same for our Scottish brothers and sisters and that the church there would be revived, renewed, and vibrant in a day of such darkness and confusion.
Talking of Martyn Lloyd-Jones, he sought to encourage his Scottish brethren in a rousing lecture on the Reformation in Scotland which he gave in 1960 (see the book "Knowing the Times"). Here is a summary of the lecture which is fitting for our times:

"Did not Mary Queen of Scots fear the prayers of John Knox more than she feared the English soldiers? Of course she did! Why? Because he was a powerful man in prayer ... Is not that the kind of man we need today? Where is the power, where is the influence, where is the authority? These reformers were only men like us ... but they were men of prayer, who lived in the presence of God and who knew they could do nothing without Him.

What is the test of preaching? I tell you; it is power! ‘Our gospel came to you’ says the apostle 1 Thess 1:5 ‘not in word only, but also in power’ ... Do you think John Knox could make Mary Queen of Scots tremble with some polished little essay? They were preaching to the congregation ... to change people. ... Prophetic! Authoritative! Proclamation! Declaration! ... Was John Knox a matey, friendly, nice chap with which whom you could have a discussion? Thank God he was not! Scotland would not be what she has been for four centuries if John Knox had been that kind of man. ... thank God prophets are made of stronger stuff! ... such a man was John Knox with the fire of God in his bones and belly! He preached as they all preached, with fire and power, alarming sermons, convicting sermons, humbling sermons, converting sermons, and the face of Scotland was changed. ...

Should I try and draw certain lesson for ourselves? The conclusion of all this is that righteousness and righteousness alone, exalts a nation, and there is no righteousness without a preceding godliness. The times are cruel; the world is in a desperate plight; there is an appalling moral breakdown before our eyes ... Our position is not hopeless, for God remains, and with God nothing shall be impossible. The conditions could not have been worse than they were immediately before the Reformation, yet in spite of that the change came. Why? Because God was there and God sent it. So the only question we need to ask is the old question of Elisha face to face with his problem: ‘where is the Lord God of Elijah’? And I want to ask that question this evening: Where is the God of John Knox? He who can give us the power, the authority, the might, the courage, and everything we need. ... let us go in His name with boldness unto the throne of grace, and as certainly as we do so we shall obtain the mercy that we need for our sinfulness and unfaithfulness, and we shall be given the grace to help us in our time of need, in our day and generation. The God of John Knox is still there, and still the same, and thank God, Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. Oh, that we might know the God of John Knox!"

Thomas Watson gives great encouragement for the church to meet in worship.

Associate with sanctified persons. They may, by their counsel, prayers, and holy example, be a means to make you holy. As the communion of saints is in our creed, so it should be in our company. ‘He that walketh with the wise shall be wise.’ Prov xiii 20. Association begets assimilation.
[Body of Divinity]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back