Scriptural basis for paedo baptism

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolaSaint

Puritan Board Sophomore
Hi All,

I'm new to reformed theology and have been coming to the PB for help in understanding it for a couple of months now. One of the hardest things for me to get my head around is paedo baptism. Where in scripture are we commanded or even get an inference to baptize infants? I don't believe there is a scriptural basis for this practice and this confounds me because I've always looked to the reformers as holding strong to sola scriptura.

You will get better answers if we put your thread in the 'Paedo Baptism Answers' Forum. Did you mean to put you question to Credo-Baptists only?

Well now I'm very confused. I just responded in a thread on the paedo baptism forum a similar question and was told I can't do this. So this is why I placed this post here.

I don't understand what happened. You are allowed to start a thread that only paedo's can answer and have you respond if you started the thread in a paedo only discussion forum. Only paedo's are allowed to answer in that forum though. A credo can start a thread if he wants to get answers from paedo's only. That is suppose to be how it works. If you post a question in the Credo forum then only Credo's are only allowed to respond. Sometimes the rules get crossed a bit because a person wasn't paying attention to which part of the forum they were reading.

If you want to ask a question and allow both paedo and credo to participate then you just post it in the regular baptism area.

Can I answer any questions specifically that you might have? Covenant theology or something of the sort in relation to what you want to know?

I have quite a few blog posts in my blog that might help you out.

Here is one on Covenant Children and how that is defined by the credo postion.

Covenant Head and Covenant Children - The PuritanBoard

Here is one on a passage that speaks about children, spouses and sanctification in 1 Corinthians 7:14.

Sanctification in 1 Corinthians 7:14 - The PuritanBoard

Here is one that asks does baptism replace circumcision.

Does Baptism Replace Circumcision? - The PuritanBoard

I also have some blogs that I posted by an acquaintance of mine from the UK on Covenant theology. They are on the first page of my blog.

The PuritanBoard - PuritanCovenanter

There are many other subject on my blog that might also help out also.

If you have any specific questions that I might be able to answer you can post them here or just PM me.

BTW, someone just posted this statement in the other thread you were mentioning....

You are on your way to answering your own questions and doubts. As you've already discovered, credo-baptism does not comport with covenant theology.

and this person is way off the mark. It might not comport to his presuppositions of what Covenant Theology is or he is just plain uninformed about about Covenant Theology from a Credo position. I imagine the gentleman isn't truly ignorant of our positions. He just doesn't believe they line up scripturally in his thinking. I don't believe his position lines up with Scripture. So I guess we would both say the same thing about the other.

Rick, my advice, since your are new to Reformed theology, is to proceed slowly. I've given this advice to others and it will save you from a lot of angst and frustration.

I am going to recommend a good first read for Baptists who are new to the Reformed faith, and who are investigating the baptism issue; it's Fred Malone's, "A String of Pearls Unstrung." You can read it online HERE.

After reading this online booklet, send some time perusing the threads on baptism on the PB. Specifically, look at the links that Randy Snyder cited in this thread.

Blessings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back