search for exact phrase

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTK

Puritan Board Junior
I would like to see the feature for "search for exact phrase" restored if possible.

Thanks,
DTK

I second the motion... I was just looking for something yesterday, never found it--all my words individually were "too small/common"

I'm going to install a Mod to try and improve this. In the meantime, have you tried searching the board by enclosing the search phrase in quotes?

I believe "John Calvin" will produce better search results than simply typing John Calvin.

Didn't help me yesterday... maybe because of "common words"? I dunno, I think I tried it in the past, didn't get the results I wanted.

OK, I just tried with "John Calvin" including quotes. I got several threads, no way to go to my exact post, and when I found it, it had John (the gospel) and the name Calvin, but no John Calvin.

Thanks Bruce. That necessitates an improvement. I found a hack that will not only make those bubble up the most relevant searches to the search criteria but actually offloads the searching from the processing of the forum. It will take some time to implement but I'm working this suggestion.

Just as an FYI and/or reminder, until we have the search function updated here, one thing that may often be helpful is to search the archives, which still have the exact phrase feature. For instance, I couldn't find a thread here by searching for several of the phrases from within the thread, but then I searched for them in the archives, instantly found the thread, and was able to search for the whole title here.

FYI. I haven't let this issue die. I've found a Search Function that integrates with Bulletin Boards and provides a powerful search capability but we're in the queue to have the forum indexed so it will be a useful feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back